X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aviljoen
    • Nov 2001

how to create a videocd

Hi
    Can anyone help me on how to create a videocd that can be played on a stand alone dvd player.
    I created a 24min video and converted and saved it as vidoecd format, copied it to a cdr but the player failed to find anything to play, on a pc the file I created works great but I need to get it to play on a dvd player so I can send video cd's abroad to my family.
  • mattward2k
    PHP Guru
    • Nov 2001

Unfortunately, you can't just stick the video file on a CD-R and expect the DVD-Player to run it. I don't know if you have any other VCD's, but they, like DVD's, have a file system so that the DVD Player knows what it is.

First, make sure the video file applies to the following standards:

Video:
    MPEG1 (VCD), 352x240, 29.97fps, 1150kbps bitrate (NTSC) OR
    MPEG1 (VCD), 352x288, 25fps, 1150kbps bitrate (PAL)

Audio:
    MPEG1 Layer II, 192kbps bitrate

You can use a program called Nero Burning from (available as a demo from http://www.nero.com/en/download.htm which you can still use to create the VCD.)

If you need information on how to create the VCD using the program, please go here: http://www.flexion.org/video/VideoCD/burning/nero/. The program they use is an older version than the one you will download, but the steps are pretty much the same. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by mattward2k; 21 Nov 2001, 02:11 AM.
    Matthew Ward
    email@nancies.org.uk
    http://www.nancies.org.uk/

Comment

• aviljoen
      • Nov 2001

Thanks

Thanks for the help.
      I did use nero 5.5 and it created the video cd for me with the file system in place, is there a way to create not only the videi cd but an actual copy of the mpg file I used to make the video cd so that the user can play the cd on a dvd player as well as play the additional file or original mpg file on a pc that is capable of playing mpg files.

I tried the newly created video cd on 2 different dvd players and neither recongised the cd I made, yet , using my dvd hardware card and software on my pc recognised the video cd as a video cd and played perfectly.
      My only answer for it is that the dvd players I used cannot play video cd's.

Any suggestions?

Comment

• mattward2k
        PHP Guru
        • Nov 2001

It doesn't sound like the DVD Players support VideoCD's, no, or at least they don't support VideoCD 2.0.

As far as I am aware there isn't any way to get the mpg file on the VideoCD aswell, and even if there was, it doesn't sound like a very good idea as DVD Players may no longer play the CD.

Most media software on computers should be able to recognise the VideoCD, it won't even need the DVD Hardware card as the majority of processors these days will decode MPEG1 VCD video with ease without needing any hardware help. You just need to have the right piece of software to play it; most PC-DVD Players will play VideoCD's (I know Cinemaster does) aswell as others...Creative Playcenter and Creative SoftMPEG also support them. If you just want to play back the file from something like Windows Media Player, stick the CD in, open the "MPEGAV" directory on the cd and select the AVSEQ01.DAT file in the directory which is the video file itself.
        Matthew Ward
        email@nancies.org.uk

Comment

• Aratingax
          • Nov 2001

You actually *CAN* play VCD and SVCD on standalone DVD players but not in ALL of them.

here you'll find very good info and a compatibility list

Video forums, video software downloads, guides, blu-ray players and media.

so far I know that the Phillips DVD-703 can play SVCD on a CDR and CDRW

Aratingax

Comment

• mattward2k
            PHP Guru
            • Nov 2001

Sorry, when I said "DVD Players" I meant "the DVD Players he was trying the VideoCD he had made on".

Yes, there are some DVD Players which support VideoCD's, such as the one I have - the CyberHome AD-L528 (which is an amazing player for the price I paid for it). If you live in England I can quote you a price for it, and the places to get it cheapest.
            Matthew Ward
            email@nancies.org.uk

Comment

• aviljoen
              • Nov 2001

Thanks guys n gals

Many thanks m8's as it turns out, the dvd players I tried do not support vcd 2.0, do you know if the Playstation 2 can play them, I did try and found the ps2 did absolutely nothing.

As for the Cyberhome dvd player, what a machine, I can get it for around 90 pounds delivered, I have not bothered getting one myself as I usually just use my pc and out put to big screen via my hardware card, works perfect

Thanks again for your help, you been great

"LX"
              Last edited by aviljoen; 29 Nov 2001, 07:26 AM.

Comment

• mattward2k
                PHP Guru
                • Nov 2001

The Cyberhome is a brilliant player; its amazing that you get full Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound/DTS decoding for under £100 - the picture quality is also amazing.

As for the PS2, they won't play VideoCD's, but there's probably some sort of mod out there that will let you; however I don't know of any.
                Matthew Ward
                email@nancies.org.uk

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎