Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stamvlo
    • Nov 2001

droped frames

I am new on encoding a dvd into an avi divx4.
    The reason i am sending this massage is because playing the encoded avi file i see many droped frames (movie "freezed" for some msec).
    I'm using 1-pass variable bitrate (1200 bps) and i dont know if this is the problem. The problem is here whichever is the post-prossesing level.
    But opening the file with vitual Dub and trying to play the jerky part (using cursor right button), there is not seemed to be any dropped frame.
    My system is based on a pentiumIII 800Mhz with Windows Me.
    Do you thing it could be the problem?
  • omarh
    • Nov 2001

What resolution is your AVI encoded at??

I've found that with my P3 733 mhz machine, I can't play back 720x480 DIVX movies. I encode using the 2 pass method, 2 pass is so much better!
    Anyway, if I encode at a lower resolution like 320 by 288, it plays back fine, and looks really good.
    But 720x480 is very jerky and frames get skipped like crazy...

I'm now experimenting to see just how high I can go with the resolution and still get decent playback.

I don't understand this because i thought people with weaker processors have said they can play back divx movies just fine...

By the way, i'm using divx 4.02

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

is that for only one title?

which tool did you use for encoding?

high resolution with heavy bitrate might be to blame, though i havent had any such problems on my machines, yet.
      and the weaker one is an old athlon 700.

on the otherhand i dont use divx4 at all since nandub with good old ms v2 is a better choice imho.

Comment

• stamvlo
        • Nov 2001

I usually use 608x384 (the vertical resolution depends on the movie type- 16:9 or 4:3) and the codec I use is Divx 4.02 with Flask Mpeg. I also tried 528x320 once but nothing changed.
        The problem was there in the four dvd's I encoded.
        I also tried Divx 3.11 but nothing changed.
        I'll try your suggestions. I hope to improve the quality of my videos.
        Thank you all gays!!

not everyone in here is gay
        Last edited by UncasMS; 14 Nov 2001, 04:08 AM.

Comment

• Fruitmaker
          • Nov 2001

for me a resolution of 512x384 works perfect. you keep the ratio and u do not have any problems showing the avi on your TV...
          really... this one gives you good quality.

By the way...
          i use the 2-pass mode, too. really good. But in your case i would suggest 2 try another player, which does not need all your computer resources like the ****ing WMP. For Example try "ThePlaya" oder "powerdivx ng"

Have fun
          There is always a way u can handle it...

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎