• jiceha
    • Nov 2001

convert wmv files in avi

Hi ,
    Can I convert wmv files in avi ?
    Thanks for help
  • alfagoblin
    • Dec 2001

Is quite illegal ...'couse Microsoft want to prevent these kind of conversion...
    also you have to consider you loose in quality and "performance" of the video ...

Yes it's possible.... you must look for the old version of Virtual Dub ... I'm not secure about the version ....
    That version include a conversion utility to convert asf files into Avi ... Pay attention to the settings and thake a look to the help

BYe

Alfa

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

Version 13C of VirtualDub is, I believe, the most recent to still support .ASF conversion (.WMV is effectively the same as .ASF in format. You may have to change, although I doubt it, your file's extension to ".ASF" in order for VDub to recognize it).

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• jiceha
        • Nov 2001

vdub 1.3c

Hi ,
        Thanks for help but how can I get the 1.3c version of Virtual Dub ?
        Can you zip me ?
        Best regards

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

Go to this site:

and scroll down the page ;>}

Comment

• jiceha
            • Nov 2001

decompressor wmv1

Hi ,
            I've finally downloaded Vdub 1.3c but , after I've changed .wmv for .asf , I cant open the file and obtain this message " decompressor WMV1 is not found"
            How can I obtain this decompressor ?
            Thanks for help

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

Were you able to PLAY the .WMV file on your system? Based on the error message, it would seem that you've got a WMV 8 file, which is NOT the same as .ASF (WMV7 is)

You can get all the required software at Microsoft's website (Just locate the "Media Player" area and look for Windows Media 8, or do a search at the site for "WMV8").

If, in fact, your file is in WMV8 format, you may discover that VDub is not able to handle it.

Comment

• jiceha
                • Nov 2001

wmplayer 7

Hi ,
                Thanks for help
                I use WMPlayer version 7.00.00 that I've downloaded in french version and I can read all files that I've encoded with Window Media Encoder version 7.01.00 , used on AVI files I've made with Studio dc 10+
                So , I've smaller files when I want to burn a cd (that I can only read on my pc) but , after I would re-convert this WMV files again in AVI files to , eventually, burn video-cd .
                What else can I do ?

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

"I use WMPlayer version 7.00.00 that I've downloaded in french version and I can read all files that I've encoded with Window Media Encoder version 7.01.00 , used on AVI files I've made with Studio dc 10+
                  So , I've smaller files when I want to burn a cd (that I can only read on my pc)"

Instead of doing what you describe, if you don't already have it, obtain one of the DivX codecs. Recompress your .AVI file under VirtualDub by select the DivX codec from "Recompression" under the "Video" dropdown menu. This will create an .AVI file that is smaller even than a .WMV file - for a CD for PC use.

"but , after I would re-convert this WMV files again in AVI files to , eventually, burn video-cd ."

You'll no longer have to try to do this.

As an aside, VirtualDub v.1.3C(which handles .ASF files) most certainly can handle WMV files created with Win Media Coder 7.xx. You simply change the file extender from .WMV to .ASF (but as I've explained above, you should no longer have to bother with .WMV files at all).

Comment

• jiceha
                    • Nov 2001

conversion

Hi ,
                    Thanks for your precious tips to a (french) beginner who uses an old analogic camera and VHS tapes... with Pinnacle Studio dc10+
                    I think that I shall succeed with your help .
                    Bye
                    JC

Comment

• jiceha
                      • Nov 2001

vdub always...

Hi ,
                      I'm in a big trouble ...I've succeeded the first time I used Vdub 1.3c in compression from AVI to MPEG and register the new file in .mpg , but now I cant !!!
                      I dont remember the exact procedure I've followed the first time and I dont find it in the "Help"'s tips .
                      Always , I find "save in .avi files " but not in .mpg files !
                      Thanks for help
                      jc
                      ps : good luck in french is "bonne chance"...

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

Sorry about my pathetic attempt to wish you good luck in French. I studied it for two years, about 35 years ago, and I was terrible then - so I guess not everything improves with age ;>}

Regarding your question:

"I've succeeded the first time I used Vdub 1.3c in compression from AVI to MPEG and register the new file in .mpg , but now I cant !!!"

You are mistaken in believing that you've used VirtualDub to convert a .AVI file to .MPG format - VirtualDub can convert .MPG (MPEG1 only) to .AVI, but not vice-versa (.MPG to .AVI).

You can, however, use the excellent program TMPGEnc to accomplish this.

Comment

• jiceha
                          • Nov 2001

mpg to avi and reverse ...

Hi "unknown stranger CAV (computer assisted video...) friend" ,
                          I'm really a beginner for believing that Vdub can convert video files in any direction , mpg to avi and reverse , and you are surely right , for the 1st conversion I've used probably TMPGEncoder ... or an other freeware AVI2MPG2 , both in my pc since any months.
                          The link for this last freeware : http://members.home.net/beyeler/bbmpeg.html
                          So , thanks again from a 54 old french "videast" who has learned english 40 years ago , but during 5 years and who has regularly read english or US professionnal books and english is certainly easier to learn than french .
                          Best regards

Comment

• setarip
                            Retired
                            • Dec 2001

Glad to have been of assistance ;>}

Comment

• dearlilie

Good news!

Hi, It's said that DVDCutter has been upgrade to DVDCutter Stream and Mp3CDWav Converter 2.5,
                              can cut and merger optionally your favorite parts from dvd/vcd/mpg/mp3/avi to your hard disk, can convert
                              CD->Mp3 files, CD->Wav files, Mp3->Wav files, Wav->Mp3 files, VCD(dat file)->MPG file, DVD(vob)->avi with Sound, DVD(vob)->AC3, DVD(vob)->MP3, and more.
                              Eliminate audio part of an avi file to form a "silent" movie, divide the avi movie into the audio and video, 2 parts!.
                              ( Then you can add in any music you love or even your own sounds, your own songs, or add in many
                              different style music to the "silent" avi movie file to form a new movie with the sound you like, acting
                              as a mixer or even a film director, and so on haha..., but don't do bad things!

You can visit www.******.com
                              or you can download it from http://tucows.netsurf.de/files3/dcmsetup.zip

By the way, in the Free download area of their home page ( www.******.com) where maybe you can find something that probably you have been longing for. XP it!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎