Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > General > General Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12 Dec 2008, 12:10 PM   #31

Here a link to DvdProfiler.

http://www.invelos.com/

What I mean by graphic is each movie has it's own cover art. It's that cover that's is way better looking in the purchased version.

It also gives you something like your own website so you can show off your collection to your friends.

I started out with the free version then upgrade to pay version, which is now 3.5 and I'm sure glad I did.

After you fill up your first case I will show you how to categorize your second one.

Those label sheets that come with the Aluminum-Like Hard Plastic cases are useless, there way to small.

If any one needs a 1T internal drive here's one for under $100.

http://www.supermediastore.com/weste...ard-drive.html

Last edited by ipaulo; 12 Dec 2008 at 12:40 PM
ipaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2008, 02:03 PM   #32
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Thnx ipaulo. I get it now. It's like a gallery where you can get all the covers for your dvd collection. That's great. I'm still looking around for the external hd ready to pull the trigger asai catch a good deal.

It'll be good to keep an eye out for any new method that comes out where we can store our collection and have it readily available to watch when we want to. Believe me these cases will get full very quickly. I have a likening to many different genres, even the old classic black and white flics. I have one of the seasons of Perry Mason, and the little mom and pop store just came out with the digitally remastered Superman series in color. My favorite with Batman when I used to come home from school. Many moons ago.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.
dr_ml422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2008, 11:18 PM   #33
Affable Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaulo View Post
Those label sheets that come with the Aluminum-Like Hard Plastic cases are useless, there way to small.
The pouches in mine are all numbered so I just use the numbers and made up my own index.

That way it's easily updated and if I want to reorganise the discs at any stage it's not a problem.

Wombler
Wombler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2008, 12:32 AM   #34
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Different reviews from different sources on the external hard drives. I also am glad I'm doing more reading on the different kinds as this is my 1st time purchasing one. Didn't know the difference between portable, desktop, etc... WD has different classes like passport, desktop premium, desktop, etc... Seagate does also. I know that whoever is sponsoring some of these reviewers has a lot to do w/which one they recommend. ie; PC world pushes one and PCmagazine another. As does Consumer Buyers. So just to keep it simple and get the best objective review, which source/sources do you guys usually take into consideration?

A good sale for decent quality is always a great choice. Basically what I'm looking for is a external hd for storage w/decent speed transfer rates both reading and writing. Warranty also has to come into play. I also need a usb2.0 model as my mobo doesn't have these e-sata ports some newer externals come with. Guess even though it'll be plugged through my usb port it can still be a sata drive? Suggestions are welcomed as always. I don't want to get something I can't use or is not conducive to my needs at this time. Thnx.
Old 13 Dec 2008, 03:18 AM   #35
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Yes you can use SATA, the newer external drives have have ESATA, USB and some times firewire connections. If it is possible I would try to get all three if it in the price range that you are looking at.
Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.
doctorhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2008, 03:30 AM   #36
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

On computer parts that are recertified. What happens is the retailer will get items back. They are then returned to the manufacture and it is extensively tested. If the part passes the manufacture's testing then part is re-sold angain. Then companise like Ecost will buy the items.
Old 13 Dec 2008, 12:43 PM   #37
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhardware View Post
On computer parts that are recertified. What happens is the retailer will get items back. They are then returned to the manufacture and it is extensively tested. If the part passes the manufacture's testing then part is re-sold angain. Then companise like Ecost will buy the items.
Ecost not solely into recertified products though correct? Thnx.
Old 13 Dec 2008, 02:17 PM   #38
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Yes that is correct.
Old 13 Dec 2008, 02:49 PM   #39
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Microcenter has a 1TB harddrive internal for $99, I think it is a western digital hard drive.
Old 14 Dec 2008, 10:34 AM   #40
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
Microcenter has a 1TB harddrive internal for $99, I think it is a western digital hard drive.

Ok. So I've done some research and found many instances where the 1st thing to go w/a external hard drive was the power supply. Also I don't know if you already answered this ?, but does an extra hd whether internal or external have to be from the same manufacturer? I started out w/2 from seagate. Like I mentioned one is in my pc. 250gb. The other on the shelf. %00gb. The 500gb I could just throw in whenever as it's already formatted etc... They're both seagate though.

Also what's you guys experience altogether w/a external hd? I'm doing my homework just need xtra info to work with. Thnx.
Old 14 Dec 2008, 11:27 AM   #41
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

No it does not matter you can mix and match manufacturers.
Old 14 Dec 2008, 11:31 AM   #42
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

I bought 2 external hard drive cases for $19.99 each. They are IDE to USB. The power supply is 12Vdc at 1.5 amps. This more than enough to run a single drive. This also another way to make an external hard drive.
Old 14 Dec 2008, 05:37 PM   #43
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
I bought 2 external hard drive cases for $19.99 each. They are IDE to USB. The power supply is 12Vdc at 1.5 amps. This more than enough to run a single drive. This also another way to make an external hard drive.
Yeah I did come across that also. Any sata to usb? If not I'd have to get a card. Ide's on the way out. Thnx.
Old 14 Dec 2008, 06:13 PM   #44
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Yes, that is becoming the norm now. There is more SATA drives out there then IDE drives. You should be able to find a SATA to USB external drive case with little or no problems at all.
Old 15 Dec 2008, 12:35 AM   #45
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
Yes, that is becoming the norm now. There is more SATA drives out there then IDE drives. You should be able to find a SATA to USB external drive case with little or no problems at all.
Ok. So it seems you leaned more towards getting an external case for a hd than buying a external hd outright ? Or are the external hd's still good to go and the complaints about failed power adapters and w/e else not too much of a concern really? I would think that as far as transfer rates, both reading and writing, both would still be neck to neck because of the usb or external connection.

I'm going to use up my 500gb and get a case for it also, but also most likely going to get a external hd so that's why I ask. Thnx.