Go Back   Digital Video Forums > General > General Computing

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 7 Mar 2009, 06:22 AM   #166
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

Quote:
Pentium 166MHz; Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Server 2003/Vista/x64
Should work for you. Just back your drivers as files and do not use the exe install format and it should suit your needs.Just install driver from device manager. I like doing a back up on CD. Make sure that you activate after install so you do not have a trial version.

I have only used it on Win 98, 32Bit XP, and Vista 32 Bit, but it states it supports yours.
PurpleDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2009, 06:23 AM   #167
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

does the limited trial let one restore? I think mab in the notes section there's something about restore. it's limited so no use throwing a bad driver or something if it might not even restore it. Got another hit from malwarebytes. Posting in av thread. that's 2 n I just been to majorgeeks. something's up.

Wait a minute you saying this doesn't have to b paid? I thought it was just for trial period? You mean once activated it's ours? 1st time w/these giveaways so that's y i'm asking?

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Last edited by dr_ml422; 7 Mar 2009 at 06:26 AM
dr_ml422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2009, 06:38 AM   #168
Eclectician

Ah that's even better!! Those other driver savers insisted on restoring through the program. If I can go direct from DM that should be cool.

The 145MB was non-ms drivers so it looks like it backed up fine in Vista64. Good deal.

@dr_ml422 yeah, I just installed on 2 different machines. When you run the activate just uncheck the stuff that hangs on your browsers if you don't want them. You should have plenty of time to download and install.
MilesAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2009, 06:41 AM   #169
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

Quote:
Wait a minute you saying this doesn't have to b paid? I thought it was just for trial period? You mean once activated it's ours?
Yes.

Only catch is you have to activate in the 24 hr period that it is given away. So if you reformat you lose it and you would have to either buy it or wait to see if it is given away again in the future.

This is one of the reasons DRF does not want to reformat and start new because he has many of these programs he does not want to lose.

The drivers it backs up you will NOT find on the windows disk. That waht is so great if you have a pre built off the shelf PC or Notebook

Last edited by PurpleDemon; 7 Mar 2009 at 06:44 AM
Old 7 Mar 2009, 06:48 AM   #170
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

it'll backup all drivers whether they're regular ones or not, but I did activate n now downloading some updates that it gives you as either a compressed zip or .exe. The window still says register now, later or buy. How do you get rid of that if you can? thnx.
dr_ml422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2009, 07:37 AM   #171
Digital Video Enthusiast
Digital Video Enthusiast

For you guys that like driver magician you mite like driver magician Lite better.
No additional requirements !
No limitations !
FREE !
Can be RE-installed on more than ONE machine
http://www.download.com/Driver-Magic...-10521270.html

Last edited by Abuilder; 7 Mar 2009 at 07:41 AM
Abuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2009, 08:50 AM   #172
Not a god of digital video

Driver Magician is not bad - it does a good job of backing up and restoring drivers - but its "required updates" are sometimes a bit off. For example, it keeps telling me that my Marvell Yukon miniport driver is out of date (it isn't) and that I need a new Intel Pro network adapter when my system rejects that driver as unnecessary.

Read their FAQ 10 for info.

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Last edited by blutach; 7 Mar 2009 at 08:54 AM
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2009, 08:57 AM   #173
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Talking

I did download and registered the Driver Magic just for the heck of it ... but one of the Reviewers commented Conflict that he gets from DM with his AutoCad program.

What I don't like about any Freeware from GAOTD is when you can not have the Reg Code ... so if your HD crashes ... bye, bye the freeware.

G!
gonwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2009, 09:27 AM   #174
Not a god of digital video

Well, it cost nothing, so no loss. You did get a chance to try it, fully featured, forever, and if you find it an indispensable program, you should buy it (which will give you upgrades).

Regards
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2009, 10:28 AM   #175
Eclectician

@gonwk if you use image backups for disaster recovery, when you lay the image back on you get back all installed programs. Another good reason to do image backups. Paragon Drive Backup Express is free. Has a version for Vista64 too.
Old 7 Mar 2009, 10:38 AM   #176
Eclectician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abuilder View Post
For you guys that like driver magician you mite like driver magician Lite better.
No additional requirements !
No limitations !
FREE !
Can be RE-installed on more than ONE machine
http://www.download.com/Driver-Magic...-10521270.html

btw just for the record.. I didn't "reinstall" I did 2 separate downloads, 2 installs and 2 activations. If they wanted to prohibit going back to the well a 2nd time they could have. I didn't try to circumvent it.
Old 7 Mar 2009, 10:48 AM   #177
Digital Video Enthusiast
Digital Video Enthusiast

Miles
LOL I didn't think you hacked it in any way
When I found the Lite version that didn't require any special install I thought it would be a better option for folks that need a program like that. Install it anywhere @ anytime.
I guess I'm not a real big fan of Free Software of the Day. DRF is a perfect example of why.
Abuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2009, 11:35 AM   #178
Eclectician

Yeah, it's the type of site where you get a gem now and then. The registration thing can be a pita. I've been a user of SVCD2DVD for several years. Esp. for its original purpose, taking VCD or SVCD type mpg and converting and authoring to DVD it's great. Only thing is the install makes you uninstall, then paste your reg info in again every time!! If the author is on a development cycle I might have to paste the info in 3 times in a week!! But it's like a library he bought not home grown so he can't change it. Just a bit annoying.
Old 7 Mar 2009, 12:25 PM   #179
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
Yeah, it's the type of site where you get a gem now and then. The registration thing can be a pita. I've been a user of SVCD2DVD for several years. Esp. for its original purpose, taking VCD or SVCD type mpg and converting and authoring to DVD it's great. Only thing is the install makes you uninstall, then paste your reg info in again every time!! If the author is on a development cycle I might have to paste the info in 3 times in a week!! But it's like a library he bought not home grown so he can't change it. Just a bit annoying.
Hi Miles,

Very rarily GAOTD provides you with a Reg Code or Serial ... that is what the pain is!

G!
gonwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2009, 03:18 PM   #180
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

Just think of as "Trialware" until your PC crashes