Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Software Forums > ImgBurn

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2007, 09:45 AM   #1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Question-2 Reset Book-Type Settings to Default?

i changed a number of book-type settings while experimenting, and want to reset everything back to their default settings.

i tried uninstalling ImgBurn, deleting the user preferences, running several registry clean-up scans, and reinstalling ImgBurn. no change in settings, which makes me think ImgBurn made the changes to the drive.....

how can i reset everything back to default?
xdjoynerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2007, 09:57 AM   #2
Not a god of digital video

Just press the default button in Tools-Settings. ImgBurn has done nothing to your drive.

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2007, 12:35 PM   #3
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

didn't work..... hit the default button > yes > ok, went back to check the book-type settings, and they were still all the values i had set, not the defaults.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 12:48 PM   #4
Super Moderator

many drives remember settings, you just have to send new commands
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2007, 04:01 PM   #5

Anyway, what is wrong with having the book type set to DVD-ROM? It is what a player expects.

Regards
Old 27 Jul 2007, 05:28 PM   #6
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

there is nothing wrong with -ROM, and i wish to set both that, and every other book-type i changed back to default. i would really like to not have to do this manually for each type and try to get the book-types right. is there anyway i can set everything back to default since doing what you said in ImgBurn didn't work?

its a Lite-On LH-20A1H (LL0C) if that helps.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 05:42 PM   #7

What do you mean "didn't work". Is it possible to post a log?

Regards
Old 27 Jul 2007, 05:48 PM   #8
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach View Post
What do you mean "didn't work". Is it possible to post a log?

Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdjoynerx View Post
hit the default button > yes > ok, went back to check the book-type settings, and they were still all the values i had set, not the defaults.
i.e. i can set any of the book-typable medias to any setting, default ImgBurn's settings as you suggested, then go back to the book-type changer in ImgBurn and the values that i set are still there, nothing has been changed, nothing has been set to default. nothing has still changed upon closing and restarting ImgBurn.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 06:19 PM   #9

Try going into the registry then and deleting the values starting with BOOKTYPE

HKEY CURRENT USER/Software/ImgBurn

Can you show us a log with the problem? IE After burning a disk (and verifying - that's where the booktype will show up).

Regards

Last edited by blutach; 27 Jul 2007 at 06:21 PM
Old 27 Jul 2007, 06:34 PM   #10
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

i deleted the BOOKTYPE values from the registry while the program was closed, re-opened, and my changed values were still in place.

i don't know what you mean by "problem", and i haven't burned anything since reinstalling and deleting the preferences folder (containing the logs.)

i simply have changed some of the settings from what they were by default in ImgBurn, and cannot find a way to set everything back to default.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 06:58 PM   #11
Super Moderator

what is the current setting for dvd+r and dvd+rw in booktyping?
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2007, 07:58 PM   #12
Author of ImgBurn

If you're running a liteon drive, you have to change the eeprom settings - they're the ones the drive uses after reboots etc.

In any case, ImgBurn automatically sets the booktype to DVDROM on liteon drives now - even if the drive itself doesn't default to doing so (it's part of the 'Automatic Change Book Type' option in the settings)

Booktype settings (besides drive name aliases) aren't stored by ImgBurn, they're stored by (in) the drive itself - as such, all programs that burn (and don't change them) will use them. Uninstalling + reinstalling ImgBurn is enough to wipe out everything ImgBurn remembers.

Last edited by LIGHTNING UK!; 27 Jul 2007 at 08:01 PM
LIGHTNING UK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 02:06 PM   #13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ok, so it's established that ImgBurn did change the settings on my drive, and that there is no way to set them back to default..........?

i don't remember what the default settings were, so i went out on a limb and guessed that "normal" was the default setting for each media type, and set all 6 settings (3 "drive" and 3 "eeprom") to "normal"..... is this correct?.....

also, after setting all 6 settings to "normal", uninstalling ImgBurn, deleting the user preferences, running several registry clean-up scans, restarting, then reinstalling and opening ImgBurn, all 6 settings were still set to "normal", including +R... not set -ROM by ImgBurn as you suggested ImgBurn does regardless of the eeprom settings.

i really don't like going by guess work here to try and restore my drives original settings. if ImgBurn can change the settings on the drive, there should be an option to default what ImgBurn has done.....

i still don't know if setting everything to "normal" was the correct thing to do, and i still don't know how to restore the drives settings to default, so we pretty much haven't gotten anywhere here.....

by the way, the drive is a Lite-On LH-20A1H (LL0C)
Old 28 Jul 2007, 04:28 PM   #14

Your post is mostly a rant. Ignoring that, again, setting to DVD-ROM is best for burning movies.

Regards
Old 28 Jul 2007, 07:25 PM   #15
Author of ImgBurn

Yes, 'Normal' is default. There's also no reason at all to have a 'reset' option (nor is it possible without first knowing 100% what 'default' is!). The booktype options are 'advanced' options. As it clearly says on the first tab when you open that box, if you don't know what you're doing, don't go messing with them!

I didn't say ImgBurn would change the settings you see in that box automatically, I said it would bitset to DVDROM automatically. That feature is totally separate to the 'booktype' window settings.

The instruction it sends to the drive on-the-fly at burn time is NOT a permanent setting - and as such, I don't need to have it reset anything.

If you (or some other program) changes an eeprom setting, that really is your problem and not anybody elses. Again, if you don't understand something then ask someone about it or forget about it altogether.

For all this messing around and self induced worrying, there really is no reason (that I can think of) to do what you're doing. What's suddenly made you think you NEEEEED to get the drive's booktype settings back to 'default' ?

If you've got problems with something in particular, why not just tell us what that problem is. Attempting to reset the drive back to default booktype settings is surely not the answer.
LIGHTNING UK! is offline   Reply With Quote