Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Software Forums > ImgBurn

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13 May 2008, 12:16 PM   #1
NOT an online superstore

Default Setting the Imp. ID

Hi,

How can you change the "Imp. ID" in ImgBurn? I read a post LIGHTNING UK! made on some random forum saying you couldn't directly, but you could make it think it's something else... how would you do that?

I also have mkisofs as part of PgcEdit, if it's easier making an ISO via command line... I just want them to not say ImgBurn or that one transcoder we can't talk about.

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀šŰǹt̉ếř
Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
My DVD Collection
drfsupercenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2008, 12:31 PM   #2
Not a god of digital video

Why you'd want to do this is unknown, but you can make an ISO and open it in something like Hex Workshop. Change all instances of the string you don't like in the filesystem (these will be the first 280 odd sectors) to 00s (ie pad them with nulls) and save.

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Last edited by blutach; 13 May 2008 at 12:38 PM
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2008, 09:12 PM   #3
NOT an online superstore

What does making them null do? What if I want to make it say whatever the original DVD said?

So far the only way I know to do that is to make a 1:1 copy, but if it's dual layer and it needs to be compressed... I'm stuck with one that says ImgBurn.

Last edited by drfsupercenter; 13 May 2008 at 09:15 PM
Old 13 May 2008, 11:33 PM   #4
Not a god of digital video

Then change where it says ImgBurn or whatever program made the ISO to whatever. Null means all 00s. This is rather meaningless as nothing accesses this info on playback.

Regards
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 07:02 AM   #5
NOT an online superstore

Thanks, and I realize it's pointless, I just wanted to know so my backups look more "authentic"
Old 16 May 2008, 11:32 PM   #6
Author of ImgBurn

Whilst you might be able to hex edit descriptors in the ISO9660 file system you can't touch UDF ones or you'll corrupt them and they'll fail the CRC checks.

The whole idea of the Implementation ID field is so the appropriate people can look at it and instantly know which program created the file system. That way, if there's a problem with it they know where to report the issue to.

You're not helping anyone if you go faking it with some program's ID that's nothing to do with it.
Old 18 May 2008, 01:04 PM   #7
NOT an online superstore

hmm, LIGHTENING UK!, I read on some forum that there is beta that let you set the Imp. ID yourself... Is that true? Because if there is I want to get my hands on it...

For some reason, Hex Workshop wouldn't let me save so I got another hex editor... when I changed all instances of ImgBurn to what the source disc was, it seemed to corrupt the image... so it's probably as you said.

Is it physically possible to fake the Imp. ID though? I realize that the point is to know what program created the image, but I'm trying to create more genuine images.
For example, if I use DVD Rebuilder on a disc, I'd put the original implementation ID in so it looks like it was meant to be a single-layer disc. Instead of it saying ImgBurn.
Old 18 May 2008, 06:32 PM   #8
Author of ImgBurn

There was a thread over at cdfreaks where we were testing something to determine if ImgBurn had been black listed (or not white listed) by certain players.

The Imp ID was never made into a customisable field.
LIGHTNING UK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 11:30 PM   #9
NOT an online superstore

Oh, I see.

So the only way to get it to say something like Sonic Scenarist would be to run it through that actual program to make the image? (and it's always interesting to see what the "professionals" used to make their DVDs... Scenarist is consumer-level software but I've seen many store-bought DVDs made with it. The other two common ones are MEI and Daikin, I haven't heard of either)
Old 20 May 2008, 08:28 AM   #10
Author of ImgBurn

No, you misunderstand me... within ImgBurn it was never made into a customisable field.

The thing you'd read about that being possible was wrong. It just toggled the field between a couple of preset values - purely for testing purposes.

As the author and person with the source code, I am of course free to set the field to whatever I want it to be - there's just no option that you (the user) can use to do the same thing.
LIGHTNING UK! is offline   Reply With Quote