Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Video File Formats > MP4, MKV, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 8 Apr 2009, 11:36 PM   #1

Question-2 .dvr-ms to h.264 using StaxRip, no audio!

I'm trying to convert home video from a Hi8 camcorder to a reasonably small digital format that can still be viewed full-screen. I've settled on H.264, which seems to me to be the best format so far (although I'm open to discussion on that).

I'm copying the video to my home PC using Windows Media Center. Earlier this week, I discovered StaxRip, which is an absolute Godsend so far. It does a fantastic job of converting the .dvr-ms to .mkv, even if I ignore profiles entirely and tell it to just go. The problem is, it doesn't seem to detect the audio. The audio track 1 field is always blank upon opening a .dvr-ms file, and I believe it should have the .dvr-ms file name there. I've loaded every codec I can find, including ffdshow and cccp, no luck.

If it's possible, I'd certainly be willing to capture the video straight to StaxRip and skip the .dvr-ms step entirely, but I don't get the impression I can do that. The PC is a Pentium D 2.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM, and I'm concerned this process could become too much for the CPU without trying too hard.

I could sure use your help fixing this fast. I have to get a video copied and edited by the upcoming holiday weekend, and I'm so close!! If I could just get the sound fixed...

Thanks for your help!
EliWCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote