Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Video File Formats > MP4, MKV, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25 Aug 2009, 06:41 PM   #1

Default Playing H.264 movie frame by frame

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have quite a specific question on H.264 playback. At my company we use a player that is capable of playing at different playback speeds and stepping through the video frame by frame. This functionality depends largely on whether the video codec is capable of these things. For Xvid (mpeg4) for example it works well. Recently I tried several H264 decoders: ffdshow, Elecard, Mainconcept, Divx to see whether H.264 movies could be played at different speeds and frame by frame. This was not the case. I noticed that at different velocities, only the I-frames were displayed, and not the frames inbetween (P and B frames).
Does anyone know of other H264 decoders that are capable of frame by frame playback. Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks.
Sjoerd
Sjoerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2011, 11:10 AM   #2

I usually do it after converting to h.264 video to raw video format. Elecard allows you to move frame by frame for yuv files
hardikshuklay2k is offline   Reply With Quote