Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Video File Formats > MP4, MKV, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.40 average. Display Modes
Old 1 Mar 2007, 04:18 AM   #1
Menu hater

Default problems with converting xvid to dvd

Hi, I've 2 xvid avi files. I'm trying to convert them to dvd format. So far I've tried winavi and divxtodvd, both of them give error messages that they can't open the files or that they are unsupported formats. the files play fine on my laptop with divx player and windows media player, so I'm wondering is it a codec issue. I've tried installing the xvid codec which made no difference and the k-lite codec pack which also made no difference. It seems my laptop has difficulty converting any xvid file but converts all others no problem. Before I got my laptop I used a pc which had no problems converting xvid. As far as I know I have all the same software on my laptop. Has anyone any idea as to which step I can try next.

Cheers,

Joe.

It seems that the files had a read only attribute attached to them (first I heard of this). Downloaded this (http://5ko.free.fr/en/only.html) and it worked a treat, just incase anybody else has similar problems,

Joe.

Last edited by joe113; 1 Mar 2007 at 05:47 AM
joe113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2007, 08:15 AM   #2
Super Moderator

It should not matter if the file is read-only, since that is all any encoder should need; likely the file was in use/being written to.

anonymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2007, 08:25 AM   #3
Menu hater

I downloaded another converter (http://www.vmesquita.com/forum/index.php?page=2) which also failed but after a look at the log it said that the likely cause of the failure was because the file was read only. this was what made me look into changing it and after I did, it worked.

Joe.
joe113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Mar 2007, 02:29 PM   #4
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Smile

Hi Joe113,

Try SUPER
http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

G!
gonwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2007, 03:17 PM   #5

Hi Joe

Use AVI2DVD [free], withHCenc [comes bundled with AVI2DVD].

http://www.trustfm.net/divx/SoftwareAvi2Dvd.html

There are some good guides available for AVI2DVD as well.
Guides:

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=57804 <---This is the best IMHO

http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/...dvd_page1.html

http://www.trustfm.net/divx/GuideAvi2Svcd.html

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...vd_avi2dvd.cfm

I am not against SUPER, its a great tool, but AVI2DVD is easier to use with much more functionality, and HCEnc is as good as CinemaCraft Encoder in terms of quality. Moreover SUPER sometimes really mess the results [no offence G! ]

If you are looking for a paid version use ConvertXToDVD, great quality and speed but comes with a price.

Last edited by src2206; 9 Mar 2007 at 03:55 PM
src2206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2007, 05:03 AM   #6
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Smile

Hi folks,

@ Joe, I agree with SRC ... AVI2DVD definitely is a lot easier and more dependable ... SUPER could be finiky if you don't choose the correct settings ... but nice to have just in case you want to do other conversions ... SUPER also lacks reading the "Subtitles" ... it does not do subtitles ... I hope the program developer would add that feature in their next version.

@ SRC, dude ... I would never take offense to anything you or other folks would say ... we are basically trying to help each other out. I learn a lot here from different opinions and so forth. For example I see lot of people recommend "StaxRip" ... but I myself find difficult to work with ... heck I can't even figure out the darn thing ... soooo!
Hey SRC what version of ConvertXToDVD are you using!?!?

Have a GREAT WEEKEND! Whatever , it is left of it!!!

G!
Old 12 Mar 2007, 05:25 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
If you are looking for a paid version use ConvertXToDVD, great quality and speed but comes with a price

I have tested the newest version and so far it's by far the best program I have ever used, it sacrifices a little quality at even the highest settings but is faster, more powerful and even easier than nero vision
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2007, 05:44 AM   #8
Kamen Moderator V3

Here's a freeware link in this post you can try for DivXtoDVD (ConvertXToDVD's former name).

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=79146

2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2007, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
@ SRC, dude ... I would never take offense to anything you or other folks would say ... we are basically trying to help each other out. I learn a lot here from different opinions and so forth. For example I see lot of people recommend "StaxRip" ... but I myself find difficult to work with ... heck I can't even figure out the darn thing ... soooo!
Hey SRC what version of ConvertXToDVD are you using!?!?
Hiya G!

Thanks buddy

Basically the last version that I used od CX2D was ver 12. Presently I have stopped using this as I prefer to have more control over the end product.

This is what I do to convert a DivX or XviD to DVD:

1. Demuxing the audio to wav using VirtualDub

2. Convert the audio to AC3 using WavToAC3

3. Use FitCd to make an AVISynth script, which I edit with AVISynthEdit to mute the audio channel etc.

4. Feed the script to either CCE or HCEnc and go to sleep and let computer prove that it is a computer

5. Use DVDStyler or DVDAuthorgui or DVD Lab Pro to author my DVD.

Though as I said I used CX2D for quite a long time and I am highly satisfied with its output quality. I have used AVI2DVD too and really liked it, and there is not enough praise that i can shower regarding the HCEnc's output. Moreover being a free program AVI2DVD has a very cool Menu creation feature with scene selection, which can further be improved using free tool such as gimp.
Old 13 Mar 2007, 03:35 AM   #10
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Smile

Hi SRC,

I am saving your "Steps" as a guide to practice with ...

I haven't really got hang of VirtualDub ... when I have more time I have to play around with it and get comfortable ...

For demuxing I have been using DGIndex (DGMPDec) program ... it seems a more of "No Brainer" and less learnign curve for me.

For WAV to AC3 I have been using "Belight" ... although I will looks up "WavToAC3" program that you mentioned ... if it is a "Freeware" then I am game.

I am totally in dark when it comes to AviSynth, Scripting, AND how to feed it to HCEnc ... So, this is something I have to work on also.

I have tried using both DVDStyler and DVDAuthorGui ... but it seems that I am running around circle ... another 2 programs that I have get comfortable with ... and forget about DVDLab Pro since it is not a freeware.

Thanks again,
G!
Old 13 Mar 2007, 03:18 PM   #11

Hiya G!

WavToAC3 is a freeware using Aften, this IMHO is the best you can get.

VirtualDub for demuxing is also a no brainer. Just open the video file in VD. Choose from Menu, Audio> Full Processing Mode. Then From File Menu> Save as wav. Done!

There is a little different method if the embedded audio is AC3.

I am not a master [or anything distantly near] of AviSynth scripting. Still if you require any help then please let me know, I shall be more than happy .
But one thing I can assure you that once you get the hang of it and HCEnc, you shall forget about all other conversion softwares.
Old 14 Mar 2007, 02:32 PM   #12
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Smile

Hi SRC,

Thanks Dude! I will try WavToAC3 ...

now I got to run and quiet the Kids before they kill each other ... and may be have abeer to calm my nerves!

G!