Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Video File Formats > MP4, MKV, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15 Mar 2007, 02:36 PM   #1
Digital Video Technician
Digital Video Technician

Default What does quant size mean?

When people refer to pic. quality they refer to bitrate which I understand the higher the rate the better for pic. quality. They also refer to quant size. What does this mean?

Thanks in advance.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2007, 07:51 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Encoding at a constant quantizer ensures that the output, at least technically, will be of constant quality. The lower the quantizer, the better the quality, but larger the file size. Single pass, unpredictable file size.

anonymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2007, 04:44 PM   #3
Not a god of digital video

Quant is the technical term that refers to compression factor. The higher the value, the more compressed an image is (and the lower the quality of the pic). Small quant means low compression and the greater the ability to compress it more.

In its purest sense, quantisation is a way of making a range of values equal a single value (and thus losing some information in the process).

Let's take an example - JPEG image compression. The data starts off as 24 bits per pixel (8 for each of three color components) and is processed using a mathematical transformation called a discrete cosine transform. By reducing the precision of the transformed values via a quant matrix, the number of bits needed to store the image is reduced (3 bits per pixel cf 24 in the original). Of course in a movie, the original started off life on film (analogue) and transforming it to even a BMP requires some quantisation.

To go any deeper into this we'd need to write a book.

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Last edited by blutach; 16 Mar 2007 at 04:55 PM
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2007, 06:01 PM   #4
At the beginning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach View Post
Quant is the technical term that refers to compression factor. In its purest sense, quantisation is a way of making a range of values equal a single value (and thus losing some information in the process).
Thank you.

Art beat me to the question. I have searched for info on Quant since I first read about it in DVD-RB forum.
ffreezinmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2007, 06:09 PM   #5
Not a god of digital video

If you really wanna know about it, ask my good mate manono at Doom9 - he'll talk for hours about DCT and quant.

Regards
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote