Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Archived Posts > DivX/XviD Conversion/Encoding

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15 Jun 2002, 01:27 AM   #1

Default nadub - motion detection setting

this is about a part of the guide for the nadub encoding from nickyguide. his opinion about SBC Options>Motion detection>Fast Motion & Low Motion setting. this is what he says:

"... The fashion with Nandub users is to use only the Low Motion codec by turning the slider for the Fast Motion up to 300% so that Nandub can never use it! I actually prefer the opposite! I turn the Low Motion up to 300% and only use the Fast Motion codec on the default of 200..."

So what do the experiensed users in this forum think? Should i use the fast motion or not?
Old 15 Jun 2002, 02:35 AM   #2
Super Moderator

i've never liked fast motion and thus no wonder always stuck to the default 300%.

but give it a try and judge for yourself!
Old 15 Jun 2002, 04:54 PM   #3
Old member

I would recommend against Fast-motion. First, you can achieve the same settings through the DRF settings. Here's a quote from Doom9's guide:
Quote:
The main difference between DivX Low motion and DivX Fast motion is the hardcoded compression settings. Fast Motion basically has a hardcoded DRF minimum of 7 and goes up till 16 whereas Low motion can go up till 2. Fast motion might be a bit better at motion detection but the difference is hardly notable. So in fact you can safely set the Fast Motion slider to 300 and only work with the DRF settings. Or for instance you could use DRF 7-16 for motion over 280 which achieves the same as having the motion switch (from Low Motion to Fast Motion) at 280 in the motion detection box.
Secondly, I've tested having the LM and FM parts in an encode on a low-spec machine (PIII 800 on a memory-inefficient motherboard), and I found slight, but noticable, slow-down during the transition from LM to FM and the other way around.
Old 16 Jun 2002, 11:35 PM   #4

just to make sure
if you set DRF 7-16 for motion over 280 he will still use low motion
right?
Old 17 Jun 2002, 12:59 AM   #5
Old member

Yes, as long as you have disabled FM.