Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Archived Posts > Authoring and Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26 Jan 2004, 07:47 AM   #1

Question Mpeg2 or Mpeg4?

When backing up a largish DVD movie to a single DVD+/-R is better video quality achieved by using a utility such as the excellent DVD Shrink to re-author the disc or would converting to Mpeg4 via DivX5 at a very high data rate be superior? Previously I would back-up a DVD to multiple CD-Rs via DivX5 w/ 5.1ch audio and a video data rate near 1k. The results are great, though there is an obvious loss of color saturation. Now that I've finally taken the plunge and ordered a DVD+/-R drive, I'm a bit of a newbie again. I backed up one film that DVD shrink couldn't seem to handle(damaged disc) to DivX5 at a data rate of more than 3k/sec(4.15GB) and the color saturation is much improved. I'm not sure if I could tell it from the original VOB files as a matter of fact. Does anyone have any opinions or comments on this?
Old 26 Jan 2004, 07:50 AM   #2

BTW I failed to mention that I play these movies on computer and care little about DVD player compatibility, only maximum quality on a single DVD-R.