Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Archived Posts > Authoring and Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2 Jan 2004, 03:17 AM   #1

Default No audio (BGM) on menu background with TMPGEnc DVD Author?

I am having trouble getting audio on my menu back ground image. I am using a file that I know has audio as it is one of my chapters that works fine. I have burned a dvd and everything works accept for the music that should be playing while the chapter menu is on the screen. I have the button checked for bgm on the motion menu edit page
I created my chapters with the super silly software that came with my sony camera (imagemixer) which worked ok at first but left me looking for a way to author and burn it to dvd. So after an extended bout of hair pulling with Mydvd and Imagemixer I am now discovering TMPGEnc DVD Author and plus (the encoder). And I like it. So, this is my resume, my knowledg base. With that said I would appreciate it if some one could explain to me (using extremely small words please) what I need to do to convert an audio file to work for my menu back ground. And if possible to please recomend suitable software for editing etc.

Thanks in advance. -Sean
Old 2 Jan 2004, 04:24 AM   #2
Retired

The following is a quote from the program's builtin "Help" menu item (from the "Options" dropdown menu) when you simply search for "BGM":

When a picture in an MPEG-1 or an MPEG-2 file is specified as a background picture, the audio from these files will be played. The audio has to be MPEG-1 Audio Layer2 or Linear PCM. (AC-3 cannot be used).
Old 2 Jan 2004, 08:09 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

So how would I convert my mp3 or .wav file to MPEG-1 Audio Layer2 or Linear PCM? I know, probable seems like a dumb question. I appreciate the help. -Sean
Old 2 Jan 2004, 05:25 PM   #4
Retired

TMPGEnc (Different than "TMPGEnc DVD Author")...
Old 3 Jan 2004, 01:40 AM   #5

Excellent advice, Thank you.

What I discovered was that if I chose Linear PCM in the audio drop down menu (on the "select format wizard" the first wizard (1/5 )of the five in TMPGEnc Plus) when encoding a clip, then that clip would NOT play back ground music (BGM) if used as an image back ground in motion menus.

On my next try I chose VBR MPEG-1 layer ll audio (MP2) from the format wizard. And then on the "select source wizard (2/5)" I selected an mp3 (audio) file from a different location than the video file. On the 3rd and 4th wizard I chose default settings (just hit next). On the 5th and final wizard I check the box stating "out put audio and video as individual elementary streams." After that I had music for my motion menu back ground.

This was my fix. But by no means do I understand the mechanics off it. But I hope it may help the next neophyte who blindly stumbles in looking for refuge.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 03:55 AM   #6
Retired

"Excellent advice, Thank you."

My pleasure ;>}