Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Hosted Forums > DivXLand.org Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 7 Apr 2007, 02:10 AM   #1

Default Accented characters just don't show up

I've been having some key troubles with the software. I need to translate into a language with ogoneks (ą, ę and ų), macrons (over every vowel), carons (č, ň), ş, and a few ligatures (Š, œ.) Now, the Baltic character set has most of these, apart from the last three (which can be replaced with, if need be, š, ae, and oe,) so I've saved that as my choice. The problem is: if I save in ANSI, all of the accented characters disappear in Media Subtitler; if I save in any of the unicode formats, the characters are preserved in the .txt file itself, but when I load it, it comes up as ú€%─, etc...

I would save it without the accents if I could, but it's rather out of the question (the macrons mark stress, the ogoneks verbal aspect), as without them, a sentence can be completely misread; what can I do about this?

Best regards,

CS.
carnationsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2007, 06:38 AM   #2

Working properly with non-western european languages requires some setup, because it depends on the Windows regional settings. You don't need to the text files in Unicode, rather you need to set Windows Regional Settings to use the language you desire.

Check out this article to setup your system and DMS to work with any character set properly.
Inuya5ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2007, 09:25 PM   #3

Thank you for your help! Unfortunately, I followed all the instructions provided, and subsequently, my programme would not load files (and lots of my other programmes, like Firefox, stopped working too... bizarre.)
carnationsoul is offline   Reply With Quote