Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Hosted Forums > DivXLand.org Support Forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2007, 08:45 PM   #1

Default What codec to use for max. accessibility?

A warm greeting to all.

I have created a substation alpha subtitle file, with Media Subtitler, for a video that is going to be placed on the internet.

Then, importing the MPEG video and audio of the original video, as well as the substation alpha subtitle file, I have tried creating an .avi file with VirtualDubMod.

The goal is for the video to be viewable by *everybody* who visits the site (and who has the most basic, obvious, widely-available software), without their having to install an additional codec.

My question is: what codec must I use for this?

For XviD, the person who visits the site apparently needs to have installed the codec in order to view the video. I don't know about the various versions of DivX. And Microsoft MPEG-4 video codec? Or WMV codec?

I would like to ask one more question. I have noticed that .wmv seems to be a very common format for internet videos. VirtualDubMod cannot create .wmv files. Is it simple or advisable to convert the .avi file I've created with VirtualDubMod into .wmv with a program such as Adobe Premiere? Or are there other free programs out there besides VirtualDubMod that can dub my subtitles (in SubStationAlpha or SubRip) onto the original video, and make a .wmv video out of them?

I would be very grateful for your help. Thank you very much for your time in reading this.

Sincerely,

Aaron
Old 13 Apr 2007, 09:06 PM   #2
Super Moderator

no crossposts please