Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Disc Formats > DVD Authoring and Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2003, 05:11 AM   #1

Question-2 Avi to vob conversion tool...

I'm looking for any tool in order to convert avi file obtained from my Sony DV camcorder into vob file.
My intention is to reduce the file converted with dvd2one and then creating with ifoedit a video dvd.
I have a lot of programs to perform video editing like tmpgenc and others but i don't want to convert the file to mpg because they are very big (at least 25 gig) and my pc takes almost 6 or 7 hours to do that...

Anyone can help me ?
Will be appreciated a freeware program or something like that...
radarman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2003, 07:00 AM   #2

HI radarman13,

I have never seen a tool to do this, however I am not too sure why you would need it ?

I have use TMPGEnc to convert the AVI to a MPEG-2, usually half resolution NTSC, with decent audio. This way I dont have to use any shrinking tools etc. If you un-tick the advanced options you can the select what percentage of the final DVD you want the movie, and go from there to make a DVD movie disk.

I can usually convert a 700MB AVI (1hr30mins) into this format/resolution in about 2 hours or so. Then it only takes a matter of minutes to create a decent DVD with menu etc using TMPGEnc DVD author.

I dont know why your movies end up 25 gig, as you can set the bit rates etc in TMPGEnc to ensure this doesnt occur.

In my experience, using the fine tools from Pegasus, I can convert an AVI to MPEG-2, and create a fully functional DVD movie with menus etc in under 3 hours.

Good Luck though.

PS - I am running an AMD 1800+ with 512MB RAM - so nothing too special in terms of power.
nzjacob is offline   Reply With Quote