Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Disc Formats > DVD Authoring and Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31 Oct 2002, 12:52 AM   #1

Default copying miniDV to DVD

Hello. I do not own a DVD burner and I am pretty unfamiliar with the technology. I want to copy home movies from mini DV tapes to DVD, for preservation. I have a miniDV camera, pinnacle firewire card, studioDV version 1.xx, a dell dimension XPS T500 with a 1.1 ghz evergreen processor upgrade. Using studio DV I can capture video from the miniDV cam to AVI files, that are about 200MB per 1 minute of video.

I'm considering buying the new Sony DVD burner which burns -R, -RW, +R, and +RW formats.

My questions are:

1) with this setup, can I burn DVDs from miniDV successfully?

2) I know I need new DVD authoring software, and I want to know which package is actually compatible with all 4 DVD formats. It's hard to figure out what the software packages are actually capable of from their websites. I am not so much interested in adding lots of effects and things like that, I am more interested in compatibility and overall functionality.

Thanks in advance.
ajf10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Nov 2002, 02:24 AM   #2

ttt
Old 2 Nov 2002, 03:00 AM   #3

OK maybe no one knows anything about this topic, but maybe someone can direct me to a site that might have more information, or a forum that might be helpful?
Old 2 Nov 2002, 09:55 PM   #4

If I were you I would upgrade StudioDV to version 8, use the inbuilt (and very intuitive ) DVD encoding SW and buy an OEM version of one of the mainstream DVD encoders.
ibuswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2002, 10:00 PM   #5

If I were you I would upgrade StudioDV to version 8, use the inbuilt (and very intuitive ) DVD encoding SW and buy an OEM version of one of the mainstream DVD encoders.
ibuswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2002, 06:55 AM   #6

I have begun doing some minidv to dvd editing and burning. I use a JVC GR-DVF-31 minidv and feed it into my computer using the firewire option. I just 2 weeks ago bought a Pioneer A04dvd burner. It came with several pieces of software for editing, including ArcSoft ShowBiz and Sonic MyDVD. The Sonic is a simpler, no frills program that will allow you to do the basic capturing, editing and burning of a dvd. The ShowBiz is more advanced, providing a greater assortment of flashy addons , intro's, fades, animation, etc. that can be placed into your editing to produce one with bells and whistles. I like it, and have been using it, rather than putting more dollars into another package. the only thing that I find lacking is the ability to cut and delete within a clip, rather than just at the beginning and end. If you are going to buy a burner, then I'd recommend holding off on any new software upgrades or purchases until you look at what is inculded in the burner software. Different manu. put different packages in. By the way, my dvd movies are looking firstrate, so far, well beyond the quality of the cd-vcd's I had been making.
hiletroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2003, 01:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by ibuswell
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but...

What would be the difference between the inbuilt DVD encoding software and the OEM mainstream DVD encoders mentioned in the quote above. They both sound like they do the same thing. Do they have different functions?

Thank you.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 08:38 AM   #8

ttt

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 12:32 PM   #9

Quote:
ALso interested, tagging along...

Ernie
esmithiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2003, 11:46 PM   #10

sorry to re open this thread but adobe premire that should of came with your pinnacle board will do the trick just put your movie on the story board (render) and export to mpeg from premire then burn/author with what ever software comes with your burner
onerose is offline   Reply With Quote