Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Disc Formats > DVD Authoring and Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2002, 08:08 AM   #1

Default DVD-9 to DVD-5 - With original menu's

Ive recently been playin around with a few different programs to re-encode the movie files of terminator 2. its about 5 gig originally so i read plently of guides and decided to wait 5 hours while i re-encode the movie with rempeg2. I got it to about 3-4 gig and then used ifoedit to author the m2v and ac3 files along with the chapter txt file also made from ifoedit. I thought i wouldnt be able to use the original menu's from the original disk but then figured a way to do it. It seems so obvious now ive done it but what i done was ripped the whole dvd disk to the hdd and replaced the newly encoded movie vobs with the original 1's, leaving the original ifo file there. I then used ifoupdate to update the original ifo with the chapter bit from the newly authored ifo (at least i think it did that, i havnt quite worked out all the options with ifoupdate yet). I then opened powerdvd and opened the video_ts.ifo from the hdd, i then had all the original menu's and could run it as if it were the original. The only problem i come accross was that the chapters were 'out' on the movie. Im not sure if this was wrong in the first place or because i used the original ifo. 1 thing i noticed was that on the menu it allowed u to go to chapter 80 which was the end credits, but when i was playing the movie i could go up to chapter 81, which is confusing me,, but it was for about 1-2 seconds long. Im still trying to figure out how to cure the problem.
Has any1 else done a dvd-9 to dvd-5 this way? is there a guide to do it the way i did because im not sure yet how to get the chapters in the right place.
Ive yet to try it with another dvd to see if i have the same problem but ive run out of disk space and i dont really wanna waste 5 hours of encoding by deleting the file.
ace2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2002, 03:26 AM   #2

Default Re

Hi,
Where did you get IFOUpdate from, and I will have a look and see.
Ta.
swanside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2002, 03:30 AM   #3

http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/Vobtools/IFOUpdate-v057.zip

From www.doom9.net
ace2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2002, 03:24 AM   #4

Default Re

Thanks,
I'll give that a go when I get home,

I got SW episode 2, but only ripped the main movie, I would like to be able to re-insert it to keep everything.

Thanks
Paul
swanside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2002, 06:45 PM   #5
Gold Member
Gold Member

DVDRs are cheap now, so why spent many hrs on encoding plus a video quality lost. I have a guide on SW2 with keeping all Menus and all Extras just like the original DVD. You can use it for free ...

Merry Christmas and take care
Old 1 Jan 2003, 07:03 PM   #6
Gold Member
Gold Member

i was wondering the same thing ace,
hey swan keep me posted bro, i'll do some test too
i am a copying fool now thx to u swan
Dsquorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jan 2003, 07:33 PM   #7
Gold Member
Gold Member

in ifoedit under settings-ifo creation settings there is an unchecked box for creating empty menu tables, anyone know what this means
Dsquorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jan 2003, 01:25 AM   #8

Default Working on the Same Problem + ?

I'm working on the same IfoEdit Problem, My chapters are all out of synch from the original and also when I play it in the Stand alone it will play just fine until i skip to a new chapter and then it will only play for acouple of seconds and that's it. Really strange.

I'm also playing with IfoEdit to see if I can get sone resolve there, sofar no luck.
wjssheltonjr is offline   Reply With Quote