Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Disc Formats > DVD Authoring and Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2005, 04:36 AM   #1

Unhappy-2 DVD Menu Problem

Good evening,

i've got the following Problem with the RC2 DVD "The man with the golden gun". I wanted to make a backup of one of my favourite DVDs but it isn't possible to copy the menu......
I used DVD Decrypter to rip it with all remove and the patch options for file mode.
It doesn't matter which tool u use to convert the dvd9 to a dvd5. I tried DVD Shrink and only got the main Movie, no menu on my DVD Player and no menu in Power DVD (still on the original DVD9 file on my hard disk). I can see it if i run the files alone with Power DVD but if i run the whole DVD it need a while to read and then the movie starts..... If you click to root menu in Power DVD it drops you back to the main menu of Power DVD but not to the one of the DVD. With Instant Copy it won't do..... if i want to convert the movie to DVD5 format it stops by 5% and don't give any response.....
What should i do to make my DVD with the menu?
PgcEdit told me that the menu has no video cells i think that this is a part of the problem.....

I don't know how i should realize my Backup with menu of this DVD. May be other rip settings, but i don't think that the problem is there cause i use it for every dvd and it works great......
Megi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2005, 05:19 AM   #2
Retired

1) It sounds like you use DVDShrink in "Re-author" mode rather than "Full Disk" backup. If you want to initially retain an ACTIVE menu, use "Full Disk" backup.

2) If you play the initial DVD Decrypter -ripped DVD "package" from your harddrive, using PowerDVD to "Play as DVD" (NOT individual .VOBs), can you use the DVD's onscreen menu to start the movie, etc.? If not, re-rip with DVD Decrypter - make certain that you're in "File" mode and from the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "ALL" files (NOT just "movie" files)...
setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2005, 07:46 AM   #3

thx for the answer but i used DVD Shrink in Full Disc Mode. I know what happens in Re Author mode and that was the reason why i didn't use it

And is used the function "play as DVD" in Power DVD. I only played the different vob files too to see where the menu is

So i still have the problem

PS: I always rip all files of a dvd
Old 28 Mar 2005, 09:06 AM   #4
Retired

You may want to research the "FAQ" in the DVDShrink-specific sub-forum here...
Old 28 Mar 2005, 10:54 AM   #5

i have read it before and i couldn't find a solution for my Problem. I'm not a newbie in that it wasn't my first DVD but my first with such a problem. The program doesn't matter normally i prefer instant copy but not even this tool can do anything for this DVD.... May be i forgot some important rip settings but i don't think so
Old 28 Mar 2005, 12:55 PM   #6
Retired

"I tried DVD Shrink and only got the main Movie, no menu on my DVD Player and no menu in Power DVD (still on the original DVD9 file on my hard disk). I can see it if i run the files alone with Power DVD but if i run the whole DVD it need a while to read and then the movie starts..... "

Have you tried pressing the "Menu" button on your remote when playing on your standalone DVD player - or using PowerDVDs menu to select "Menu" when playing on your PC?
Old 28 Mar 2005, 09:43 PM   #7

yes i pressed the menu button on my DVD Player but nothing happens and i pressed also the Title menu button and Root Menu Button on Power DVD. Power DVD go back to the main Menu of Power DVD but not to the menu of the movie.... the display turns to the regular Power DVD Screen and that's all. How i said i don't think that it's a program problem cause i use some others too and got the same problem. Instant Copy hang up after 4%, the demo of DVD Copy tools make the same things like DVDshrink (movie without menu but all files are on the dvd.....) and CloneDVD also.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 12:49 PM   #8
Digital Video Explorer

"PS: I always rip all files of a dvd"

Did you indeed use "DVD Decrypter" to initially "Rip" the files to your HD prior to using DVD Shrink? Do you get the main movie menu by opening the original "DECRYPTED" version (NOT the DVD Shrink version) in "PowerDVD"?
ormonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2005, 07:03 AM   #9

yes i use DVDdecrypter to get all the files to my HD. Normally i prefer Instant Copy but how i said it was impossible to do anything with it on that DVD. The normal process is that i use DVDDecrypter first and then i convert the files to a DVD5 from my HD. I think it's faster this way.

No i don't have a menu in Power DVD even if i take the "original" Directory with the ripped files
I think i will have to rip it again but with which settings?

And i still got the problem
Old 31 Mar 2005, 07:58 AM   #10
Not a god of digital video

Default Re: DVD Menu Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Megi18
PgcEdit told me that the menu has no video cells i think that this is a part of the problem.....
That is not only part of the problem - it is the whole problem (at this point). Rip the menus again - all of them: anything that ends in X_0.VOB.

Remember that the menus may very well be in a different titleset to the movie VOBs.

Can you upload your IFOs anywhere?

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Last edited by blutach; 31 Mar 2005 at 08:01 AM
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Apr 2005, 12:58 AM   #11

thx for the help but now i've solved the problem
I don't know why but after the installation of a new firmware and the new Version of DVD Decrypter everything works fine

Thx for all the help
Old 6 Apr 2005, 01:22 AM   #12
Digital Video Explorer

"Thx for all the help"

Glad (We) could be of help
ormonde is offline   Reply With Quote