Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Disc Formats > DVD Authoring and Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18 Sep 2008, 03:27 AM   #1

Default How do I use PgcEdit export formats?

I'm trying to convert a PAL menu to NTSC. I just want to convert the existing motion menu from a PAL DVD, not create a new one.

I can't find a way to simply change the aspect ratio to 720 x 480 within PgcEdit so I've tried exporting the sequence, but I can't find any program that can read file formats *.mnu and *.gbv. If I simply export one VTSM as a .bmp it distorts it and, of course this means you have to put back on the button functionality.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Charles
Charles_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2008, 07:23 AM   #2
Not a god of digital video

The mnu and gbv files are your buttons. After you have converted the video, in the button editor, click edit and then file → import and browse to the relevant button files. I would export whole menu and the reimport it.

First, you need to convert your video to NTSC - use SUPER for this. You don't do it BMP by BMP. That would take forever and end up jerky.

Note - after conversion of the video, you will need to remux the video, audio and subtitles together and then reimport the button and colourscheme info via the import function. However, you are not done yet! You need to move the buttons arround to take account of the new resolution - this can be done in PgcEdit (remember to do it for all groups) AND most importantly, move the subpic highlights around to line up perfectly. This can be done with DVDSubEdit (using the Edit Subpic with External Tool function) - again, do it for all streams (0x21, 0x22 etc).

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Last edited by blutach; 18 Sep 2008 at 07:25 AM
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2008, 12:28 AM   #3

Thanks blutach,

I've already converted the video to NTSC.

But this is the part I don't get:

Quote:
I would export whole menu and the reimport it.
When I tried to "export the whole menu" I only had the choice to export as .mnu or .gbv.
I need to figure out how you actually export the menu, then what software you use to change whatever file you have exported to 720 x 480.

I understand you have to import it back into the main movie and put it all together afterwords it's the actual conversion I can't find instructions for.

Thanks
Charles
Old 19 Sep 2008, 09:09 AM   #4

Just click Edit on any button and then from the file menu use Export whole menu (original project). When importing (NTSC project), get the same file you have exported. If you wanna see what is in that file, just view it in Wordpad. It's a text file and doesn't need converting.

If you have converted the video (and audio) to NTSC, you need do no other conversion (except for the subpic highlight positioning as described above).

Regards

Last edited by blutach; 19 Sep 2008 at 09:11 AM
Old 19 Sep 2008, 12:06 PM   #5
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Question

Excuse me guys for asking this dumb Q ... but why even bother with the Conversion from PAL to NTSC ... when any DVD Player plays back both formats!?!?

THANKS!

G!
gonwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2008, 09:10 AM   #6

Not any player does gonwk - especially in NTSC-land.

Regards
Old 21 Sep 2008, 10:44 AM   #7
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Hi Blu,

I have a Philips DVP5982 ... plays it all

http://www.nextag.co.uk/Philips-DVP5...uk/prices-html

http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/philips5980.htm

http://www.world-import.com/dvd-5982.htm

Bu tI got it on sale so paid less than $99.

G!
gonwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 12:11 AM   #8

OK I'm not getting anywhere with this because when I:
Quote:
Just click Edit on any button and then from the file menu use Export whole menu (original project)
I have only TWO file format choices .mnu and .gbv both of which are PgcEdit's own file formats and can't be imported into another program.

P.S. My question was not about DVD players - that discussion seems to come into every forum posting on video converting but sorry, it's off topic.
Old 23 Sep 2008, 11:27 AM   #9

Yes, they are PgcEdit's formats - they aren't supposed to be exportable to another program. Rather they are there to re-import into another PgcEdit project.

Regards
Old 24 Sep 2008, 01:18 AM   #10

I understand that, but back to my original question, how do I export the menu in a useable format?

Thanks
Charles
Old 24 Sep 2008, 02:05 AM   #11

If you follow the steps I have outlined, it will work. Don't get hung up on PgcEdit's export file extensions from your PAL original project. They are just files for re-importing to another PgcEdit session (your NTSC session).

Other than that, if you can't seem to implement my ideas, I am lost as to how to help you. Sorry.

Regards