Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Disc Formats > DVD Authoring and Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 9 May 2004, 02:16 AM   #1

Default mpeg to big for dvd-r

i have just encoded a film from divx to mpeg2 usind TMPGEnc but the file is bigger than 4.7 gig how can i fit it on a dvd without editing the film please help
hayhan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2004, 08:54 AM   #2
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

use dvd shrink and compress to ur needs...

if dont understand how to use dvd shrink ask again....
atifsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2004, 09:46 AM   #3
Digital Video Explorer

To hayhan101:

Before you use DVD Shrink to compress the size of your film, you must first "Author" the mpeg 2 file into a DVD-related file structure (.IFO, .BUP, .VOB) with an authoring application such as "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (different than TMPGEnc) or "DVDLab". DVD Shrink will only work with a native DVD file structure, not a straight mpeg 2 file. However, if for some reason you would like to keep the file in mpeg 2 format, you could try and use a program called “ReJig”, which will compress mpeg files.
ormonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2004, 05:34 PM   #4
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
Originally posted by ormonde
To hayhan101:

Before you use DVD Shrink to compress the size of your film, you must first "Author" the mpeg 2 file into a DVD-related file structure (.IFO, .BUP, .VOB) with an authoring application such as "TMPGEnc DVD Author"

Thnks Ormonde... forgot that part..
atifsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2004, 07:58 PM   #5

Default re mpeg to big

Thanks for the info
hayhan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2004, 11:06 PM   #6
Digital Video Explorer

"Thanks for the info"

Glad (We) could be of help, and hope it works out.
Old 27 May 2004, 10:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by ormonde
To hayhan101:

Before you use DVD Shrink to compress the size of your film, you must first "Author" the mpeg 2 file into a DVD-related file structure (.IFO, .BUP, .VOB) with an authoring application such as "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (different than TMPGEnc) or "DVDLab". DVD Shrink will only work with a native DVD file structure, not a straight mpeg 2 file. However, if for some reason you would like to keep the file in mpeg 2 format, you could try and use a program called “ReJig”, which will compress mpeg files.
Ormonde

I have a 7.x GB mpeg file (DVD compliant) that will not load in DVD Author. Do you know if there is a file size limitation? I get a "Cannot initialize decoder" error. However, when I authored a smaller file (1.5 GB) I got no such error. I was able to run it through TMPGenc and then Author had no problem but this seems like a waste of time (an extra 5 hours). All I want to do is take a large mpeg file and cut out commercials, add chapter points, maybe shrink it with DVDShrink (if necessary) and then burn it. I would ask Pegasys this question but since I am in my trial period with DVD Author, they won't address it.

Thanks!
rainman1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2004, 11:18 AM   #8
Digital Video Explorer

"when I authored a smaller file (1.5 GB) I got no such error."

If that particular method worked for you, just use the "Merge and Cut" feature in TMPGEnc and chop the 7.x GB mpeg file into smaller files. (5 or more) Then use DVD Author and import the individual file segments.
Old 29 May 2004, 04:51 PM   #9

Looks like it had nothing to do with the file size. I just authored a 5+ GB file with no problems. I am really mystified. The source file settings are the same in each instance. I have tried authoring about 6 files from 350 MB to 7+ GB and half of them generate the error "Cannot initialize decoder". Maybe the problem isn't with TMPG or my mpeg encoder...maybe it is my computer...?
Old 29 May 2004, 09:44 PM   #10
Digital Video Explorer

"Maybe the problem isn't with TMPG or my mpeg encoder...maybe it is my computer...?"

Possibly. How powerful is your CPU? How much RAM do you have?
Old 30 May 2004, 04:23 AM   #11
Retired

"I was able to run it through TMPGenc and then Author had no problem but this seems like a waste of time (an extra 5 hours)."

This would indicate that, despite what you've said, the initial file was NOT DVD-compliant...
setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jun 2004, 05:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by setarip
"I was able to run it through TMPGenc and then Author had no problem but this seems like a waste of time (an extra 5 hours)."

This would indicate that, despite what you've said, the initial file was NOT DVD-compliant...
You are probably right, although I'm not sure why. According to Snapstream (Beyond TV) and Pegasys (TMPG Author) the problem most likely lies with the hardware encoder (although not sure why the error was "cannot initialize decoder "). I would think that if the mpeg encoding setting are not changed from file to file that they would all come out the same way However, as I've mentioned before, some files need to be re-encoded before Author and some do not.