Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Disc Formats > DVD Authoring and Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2008, 12:38 AM   #1

Lightbulb New Bitrate Viewer as a helper for MPEG encoding

Hello,

Some months ago I requested help from some of you experts and now I'm done and I want to give something back to you: My new Bitrate Viewer 1.0 for Windows is released. It is a rewritten from scratch version of an existing tool for MPEG analysis. You can check the quality of your video encoding with its graphical output.

Well, the idea is not new - but there are some new nice features you might have missed with other tools of this kind ... and if you know the original old tool with a similar GUI you may remember its problems with file sizes above 2 gigs. This new one doesn't have this problem at all!

The tool is free for now and I hope you like it - whoso needs it. Just see this:

And the web page is here:
http://www.winhoros.de/docs/bitrate-viewer/

Have fun!
Konran
Konran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2008, 10:19 AM   #2
Not a god of digital video

@konran

Thanks a lot - we really appreciate the work you put in. Don't forget to let the guys on http://forum.doom9.org know, too.

EDIT: I get an error when clicking on BitrateViewerSetup.exe in the download section. The zip is OK. Also, pressing F1 gets a message that a HLP file is unavailable. It needs to be coded to the html help.

Question: Is it possible to load more than one VOB at a time - eg a whole titleset? And is it possible to zoom in on a section?

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Last edited by blutach; 16 Dec 2008 at 10:56 AM
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2008, 01:35 PM   #3

Hi Les,
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach View Post
Don't forget to let the guys on http://forum.doom9.org know, too.
Yes, it's also on doom9

Quote:
EDIT: I get an error when clicking on BitrateViewerSetup.exe in the download section. The zip is OK. Also, pressing F1 gets a message that a HLP file is unavailable. It needs to be coded to the html help.
I uploaded a new installer within the exe file about 5:30 hrs ago using a current version of NSIS script install maker. Maybe that fixes it. Upto now I had no problems with Windows XP SP2. Might be SP3 causes problems and Vista should now work with the new installer.

The HLP thing is strange and was also once reported before. Normally when pressing F1 the program passes the request trough GotoURL.dll which is in the binary path of the application. As an idea: could it be that it works directly with the HTML file when you've shut down the app and restart it? ... or even after restart of the PC?

Quote:
Question: Is it possible to load more than one VOB at a time - eg a whole titleset? And is it possible to zoom in on a section?
The tool is only related to one file at a time. You could load several instances of the program at a time - each one with a different VOB. Maybe this will be a future add on, but not on first priority - depends on the requests. I think it is quite a lot of work to examine the IFO and change the handling from one file only to 1 ... n files.

I've thought of the zooming part and really think that it is interesting. So that could be an enhancement in the near future - for the 2009 version.

Regards,
Konran
Old 16 Dec 2008, 04:23 PM   #4

Thanks Konran. I had tried to shut down and restart the app (several times) but still got that help error.

And yes, I am on XP SP3. I can confirm downloading the EXE is still an issue. Here is the error report:

Code:
PLATFORM VERSION INFO
	Windows 			: 5.1.2600.196608 (Win32NT)
	Common Language Runtime 	: 2.0.50727.1433
	System.Deployment.dll 		: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
	mscorwks.dll 			: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
	dfdll.dll 			: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
	dfshim.dll 			: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)

SOURCES
	Deployment url			: http://www.winhoros.de/docs/bitrate-...ime=exe&type=S

ERROR SUMMARY
	Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
	* Activation of http://www.winhoros.de/docs/bitrate-...ime=exe&type=S resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
		+ Exception reading manifest from http://www.winhoros.de/docs/bitrate-...me=exe&type=S: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.
		+ Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
	No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
	There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
	* [16-Dec-2008 4:22:23 PM] : Activation of http://www.winhoros.de/docs/bitrate-...ime=exe&type=S has started.

ERROR DETAILS
	Following errors were detected during this operation.
	* [16-Dec-2008 4:22:38 PM] System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (ManifestParse)
		- Exception reading manifest from http://www.winhoros.de/docs/bitrate-...me=exe&type=S: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.
		- Source: System.Deployment
		- Stack trace:
			at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestReader.FromDocument(String localPath, ManifestType manifestType, Uri sourceUri)
			at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirectBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
			at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
		--- Inner Exception ---
		System.Xml.XmlException
		- Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.
		- Source: System.Xml
		- Stack trace:
			at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
			at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg)
			at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseRootLevelWhitespace()
			at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
			at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
			at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
			at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestValidatingReader.XmlFilteredReader.Read()
			at System.Xml.XmlCharCheckingReader.Read()
			at System.Xml.XsdValidatingReader.Read()
			at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestReader.FromDocument(String localPath, ManifestType manifestType, Uri sourceUri)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
	No transaction information is available.
I guess the other request would be to be able to increase the size of the window / make it full screen. Right now, it is a bit "small" if you know what I mean.

Also, is there a way to set the default type of scan? For example, I would prefer G instead of S (I know I can press Ctrl-G to start this anyway).

And finally, is there a way to set the default input folder? So that when you press the Load button, it looks there first (I do appreciate the drag and drop feature though ).

Again, many thanks for this.

Regards

Last edited by blutach; 16 Dec 2008 at 07:09 PM
Old 16 Dec 2008, 06:57 PM   #5

Little bug report (just change the documentation).

It appears the green line (Ctrl-Left click) is average BR and blue one (Alt - Left click) is minimum.

Also, for me anyway, pressing Ctrl-Shift-Alt together (or any combo) with the left click does not turn on or off multiple lines. But that is no biggie.

Regards

Last edited by blutach; 16 Dec 2008 at 07:05 PM
Old 16 Dec 2008, 08:56 PM   #6

Hi Les,
Quote:
I had tried to shut down and restart the app (several times) but still got that help error.

And yes, I am on XP SP3. I can confirm downloading the EXE is still an issue.
Did you open the EXE directly from the website? Your error report seems matching this one: http://www.mmbforums.com/ipb/index.p...dpost&p=129422
and also look over here:
http://www.mmbforums.com/ipb/index.p...dpost&p=129430

I was discussing with friends to install SP3 but I was still waiting. Now I know why. I think that I can't do anything by myself because the reason for that is obviously the EXE part of the NSIS installer that wraps the unpacker and the installer's dialogs around the real application. If anyone knows about fixing problems with SP3 I appreciate hearing from - but it may be the wrong place here
Quote:
I guess the other request would be to be able to increase the size of the window / make it full screen. Right now, it is a bit "small" if you know what I mean.
Well I see what you mean - I place that on my request list for the next one.
Quote:
Also, is there a way to set the default type of scan? For example, I would prefer G instead of S (I know I can press Ctrl-G to start this anyway).
It seems there are out more beneath you who are using other than the standard method - I'll make that registry permanent like other settings.
Quote:
And finally, is there a way to set the default input folder? So that when you press the Load button, it looks there first
Up to WinXP SP2 it looks in the last opened folder. Did even that change with SP3?
Quote:
It appears the green line (Ctrl-Left click) is average BR and blue one (Alt - Left click) is minimum.
Oops, I must have taken some sleeping drops and turned color blind - thanks
Quote:
Also, for me anyway, pressing Ctrl-Shift-Alt together (or any combo) with the left click does not turn on or off multiple lines. But that is no biggie.
I really don't understand how this can happen ... it works for all upto WinXP SP2's I've tried.

Cheers,
Konran
Old 16 Dec 2008, 09:04 PM   #7

I think the last opened is OK, now. Maybe my last registry clean killed something.

And now, the Ctrl-Alt-Shift is working (but only for all 3)!!

The help file is a confirmed issue - even after reboot.

As for the installer, I really don't care as I am happy with the zip installer - you might like to consider another installer package though.

Thanks very much for considering my other requests.

Can I ask another? How about a left and right cursor hot key to go from one gop/second to the next?

Regards

Last edited by blutach; 16 Dec 2008 at 09:08 PM
Old 16 Dec 2008, 09:20 PM   #8

BTW: I'm not sure the installer problem is an XP3 thing. It can't even download (as confirmed on the other forum). I mean, it should be able to download to the hard drive, right?

Regards
Old 17 Dec 2008, 01:47 AM   #9
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Thanks for your tool! It looks fine, although I haven't tried to download it yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konran View Post
The tool is only related to one file at a time. You could load several instances of the program at a time - each one with a different VOB. Maybe this will be a future add on, but not on first priority - depends on the requests. I think it is quite a lot of work to examine the IFO and change the handling from one file only to 1 ... n files.
You don't need to analyze the IFOs. Anyway, they will not tell you how many VOB files there are. The easy way is to analyze the file name. If it's VIDEO_TS.VOB or VTS_##_0.VOB, there is only one file. When the name is VTS_##_1.VOB, you could simply look for VTS_##_2.VOB in the same folder, etc...
Of course, if the file has been renamed, you should assume that it's a single file.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2008, 09:39 PM   #10

Quote:
And now, the Ctrl-Alt-Shift is working (but only for all 3)!!
Yes, that's it how it should do - all 3 together on/off.

Quote:
The help file is a confirmed issue - even after reboot.
Unfortunately yes. I was able to reproduce it on my company's PC (WinXP SP2) - select F1 from sysmenu, shortly opens Windows HLP request (less than 1 sec) and after that opens browser with HTML page. With the same OS release at home or Win2k Pro SP4 at home I can't reproduce it. But I found a leak in the code where a F1 request could come through without opening the HTML. I'll send you a PM later...

Quote:
How about a left and right cursor hot key to go from one gop/second to the next?
Don't even hesitate to ask Well, I'll think about it - could also be implemented easily ... maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
You don't need to analyze the IFOs. Anyway, they will not tell you how many VOB files there are. The easy way is to analyze the file name. If it's VIDEO_TS.VOB or VTS_##_0.VOB, there is only one file. When the name is VTS_##_1.VOB, you could simply look for VTS_##_2.VOB in the same folder, etc...
Of course, if the file has been renamed, you should assume that it's a single file.
Thanks for this - I'll consider that for one of the next releases. That's going to be a hard job because of the interface's file delivery.

Regards,
Konran
Old 19 Dec 2008, 12:02 PM   #11

Ok, thanks for your first tests. I've upped a new version of my Bitrate Viewer 1.0.2 with some bug fixes.

The help issue is now done (thanks Les), the help page also corrected and updated and the installer changed a little. Please have a look at the download page again.

Cheers,
Konran
Old 22 Dec 2008, 10:31 AM   #12
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Thumbs up

Hi Konran,

THANKS for the New Version ... and the .EXE file now as a download option!

Wish You and your Family a MERRY XMAS and a Great New Year!

G!

Last edited by gonwk; 15 Jan 2009 at 10:36 AM
gonwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2009, 10:03 PM   #13

Hi gonwk,

also a Great New Year for you et al. and soon you will see an update of the tool on the website's changelog.

Cheers,
Konran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwk View Post
Hi Konran,

THANKS for the New Version ... and the .EXE file now asa download option!

Wish You and your Family a MERRY XMAS and a Great New Year!

G!
Old 21 Jan 2009, 07:44 AM   #14

Exclamation

Hi all,

this is an update notice for my Bitrate Viewer version 1.0.3 available now. There are some bugfixes and some little features added. Look into the changelog for more information.

Cheers,
Konran
Old 7 Mar 2009, 11:11 AM   #15

Smile-2

Hello again,

this is an update notice for my Bitrate Viewer 2.0
You'll have many new features - one of them is a zoomable display. See the changelog for details.

Regards,
Konran