Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Disc Formats > DVD Authoring and Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 4 Mar 2011, 01:41 PM   #1
NOT an online superstore

Default Question about 4:3 DVDs and automatic zooming

Alright, so, my friend brought this to my attention. He has a Samsung 16:9 HDTV, and uses a Sony Blu-Ray player hooked up with HDMI. He has a DVD, of the movie Scream, that isn't anamorphic - it's 4:3 and letterboxed. When playing it on my computer or PS3, you can clearly see the 4:3 frame and the large letterboxes. But yet, when played on his Blu-Ray player, it automatically zooms in to make it seems as if it's anamorphic.

I took a look at the DVD using PgcEdit, and the domain streams attributes were just 4:3, the "Source material is letterboxed" flag is unchecked. When I was at his house, we tried some other movies as well, and both Disney's studios (Hollywood pictures, whatever) and FOX titles would automatically zoom in - aside from Scream his player did the automatic zooming with True Lies and The Abyss, both FOX titles. However, Mission: Impossible, which is a Paramount title, showed up gutter-boxed on his TV.

So, I'm just curious, what is causing this automatic zooming? I can confirm that it's not his TV, as pressing "info" still showed the complete info screen and nothing was cut off. However, I was unable to find any sort of setting that tells it to automatically zoom in titles like this, in fact, I don't know how to turn it off - because when it zooms in, the subtitles get cut off and become unreadable.

So I'm just curious if anyone has any idea what's up with this. I have the IFO files from the Scream DVD if anyone wants to take a look and see if there's any sort of info that would tell the player to automatically zoom in.

Thanks

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀šŰǹt̉ếř
Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
My DVD Collection
drfsupercenter is offline   Reply With Quote