Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Disc Formats > DVD Authoring and Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21 May 2006, 01:02 AM   #1

Default The Quick DVD Backup Guide...

I've been following the above guide - 'quick dvd backup' - which I think is excellent.

And in particular i'm trying to make a split backup - two dvd's from the original one.

It has all gone well except that when I reach the stage of checking the two dvds in their directories by having windvd or powerdvd or something play them I can only get the second one to play - the second half, the dvd in the 'disk2' directory.

I've used nero showtime. It will only play the second one.

I don't have windvd. Powerdvd plays both in a black and white scrambled manner.

I don't get any error message with nero. it just opens a large window for a split second and then closes it and that's that.

Anyone got any ideas what the problem is?

I sort of expected the problems, if any, to come on the second disk, not the first one.

regards,

ab
abrogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2006, 01:31 AM   #2
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

@abrogard

Could you link the guide? Which program did you use to reauthor with?
Gary D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2006, 11:33 AM   #3

Here's the link: http://www.dvdr-digest.com/articles/18_4.html

I didn't do any re-authoring. It is a straight copy I'm trying to do of a dvd9.

Rather than lose fidelity I want to copy to two disks. I'm trying to learn how.

I followed the instructions as far as I got.

ripped onto the hard drive with dvddecrypter
split with ifoedit
manually copy some files.

check that the copies are okay.

And that's where I'm at. Copy on disk1 isn't good. I don't know why.

regards,

ab
Old 21 May 2006, 05:02 PM   #4
Not a god of digital video

To split a disk - see link in my signature. Works every time.

The guide you are using is, IMHO, out of date in regards to current technology.

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2006, 05:42 PM   #5

Thankyou. I've downloaded and will try.

On an entirely different tack: you don't happen to know how to save an abc radio national audio thing that is not a podcast and is not a downloadable mp3 do you?

regards,

ab
Old 21 May 2006, 05:45 PM   #6

You mean record it off the radio?

Regards
Old 21 May 2006, 05:57 PM   #7

No... I mean from here: http://www.abc.net.au/rn/radioeye/default.htm

It is called 'craptown, too good for england'

ab
Old 21 May 2006, 08:05 PM   #8

Well I've tried Vobblanker and the results are the same. Maybe a tad worse. Though I admit I find working with vobblanker better than ifoedit.

Nero Showtime will play disk2 no trouble at all.
Disk1 finishes with 'Unexpected DVD error'.

Power DVD cannot play either of them. But it tries. It plays black and white, jerky, 1cm wide vertical strips of picture here and there on the screen.

This movie is Shrek. Have you tried it yourself?

regards,

ab
Old 21 May 2006, 11:07 PM   #9

Is this off the project files or a burned DVD abrogard?

If the former, try to trace things through with PgcEdit. If this proves too daunting, posts your IFOs and shruk menus (use MenuShrink) and we'll check out the logic of it.

Regards
Old 22 May 2006, 01:50 AM   #10
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrogard
No... I mean from here: http://www.abc.net.au/rn/radioeye/default.htm

It is called 'craptown, too good for england'

ab
Well ,it is streaming media and u can capture it using Streambox.Another option(and better) is to use Internet Download Manager and configure it to download RM/RAM files automatically.

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF
paglamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2006, 09:35 AM   #11

The files come from my Shrek DVD. I want to get it backed up before my little boy destroys it. I ran dvddecrypter on it. It gave me one directory of files from the DVD.

Then I get two directories, one for each disk, via ifoedit or, now, vobblanker. From feeding that first directory into whichever prog. ifoedit or vobblank.

I'll try Pgcedit, I've got it here. I'll let you know if I can make any sense/headway out of it.

I just downloaded menushrink and I'll give it a try but I'm not sure what you're asking for there - you want the IFO files and the menus ? 'Post' an IFO? I suppose you don't mean the mere filenames. You want the actual file? How do I post whole files? Oh.... I see, there's provision for file attachment. Okay, if it comes to that I'll do that.

I was thinking of posting the file listing from (a) the dvddecrypt directory and then (b) disk1 and (c) disk2 as created by vobblanker. Would that be meaningful to you guys that understand all this? Or should I not bother?

The radio thing: I downloaded and installed the file manager and failed to find where I could configure it for 'automatic download of RM/RAM files.

I went to abc rn and ran the player for that programme... 'craptown...' and it began to play. The download manager remained unmoved. I use Firefox. It had previously reported that it was successfully integrated with Firefox.

I failed to find anything I could click that would make it detect the current audio being played and received by my computer.

I found, of course, where you input an URL - all these download things have those and it was just as useless and it has always been at times like this. Because there is no URL to input. Or the URL is the page, not the player, not the streaming audio (I suppose this IS 'streaming audio'?).

So then I thought I'd go your other, second best, option 'streambox' and went wandering into many places looking for it. I finally found a place that seemed like it was dinkum and I went for the download. Download Manager blocked it on the grounds of some http response it didn't like or somesuch.

So I've unloaded Download Manager. Am going to continue my search for streambox or something that will intercept this audio stream and save it for me.

And I'll try pgc.

Thanks for your help and i hope you'll provide a little more of it. I'm out of my depth it seems, bewildered and buggered by both of these things....

regards,

ab
Old 22 May 2006, 10:12 AM   #12

Well, I got streambox, finally, and found the .dll it was missing and installed it and it's all working great! Good stuff.

Except it won't grab this audio stream.

Same problem. It want's an URL. ABC doesn't provide an URL.

Or they do, here it is: http://www.abc.net.au/cgi-bin/common...0%20May%202006

(I tried to edit that so's the whole link was displayed. Not necessary. Moving the cursor over the ellipsis reveals the whole URL, it turns out. Down at the bottom of my screen it does, anyway)

That's the link that goes off to the player and it all begins.

Perhaps if I played around with that link enough I could come up with an URL that streambox would understand. But i've had a few goes at it and done no good. I just get 'invalid filename'.

Why can't these kind of programmes just intercept the current audio coming out of your sound card, I wonder?

Or should I be looking for another kind of programme that will do just that?

regards,

ab

Last edited by abrogard; 22 May 2006 at 10:15 AM
Old 22 May 2006, 12:43 PM   #13

When you say it plays bad, what is it exactly that plays bad? The two disks you have burned or the project files from VobBlanker?

What are you using to play these files on? BTW: I have done Shrek and it comes out wonderfully well.

Regards
Old 22 May 2006, 02:55 PM   #14

Hi.. I wish I'd been here when you posted.

What plays bad is "disk1" of the two directories created by vobblanker (or ifoedit) to hold the files for the two disks it has made after splitting.

It plays bad when I play it from the directory.

Vobblanker splits the "disk" it finds in the directory dvddecrypt has put the files from 'ripping' the dvd in. I tell vobblanker to use these files.

I tell it where to put the files it creates, for the split disk.

That guide I was following said don't burn the disks until you've tested they are going to be alright.

It said test them with a prog that will play from the hard drive.

Nero Showtime does that.

Nero Showtime plays the second disk fine. Either from ifoedit or from vobblanker. There never seemed to be a problem with disk2.

Even though the second disk from the Vobblanker method was different to the disk from the ifoedit method. It still played alright.

But neither way will the first disk play.

I'll tell you what is peculiar about my dvd disk "Shrek" - when it starts it has a splash screen which says "Disk Two" ! But it is a one disk thing. The movie is right there. The whole thing is authentic. It is not a copy. Or it certainly doesn't appear to be. I don't even know where we got it. My wife thinks someone gave it to us for Henry (our little boy) along with some other stuff.

But it plays fine. Not a problem.

I have attached a wordpad .rtf file which shows the file listing after dvddecrypt has done its work and the files in each of the two directories for the two disks after vobblanker has done its work.

Something must be wrong with the files in disk1, I guess.

regards,

ab
Attached Files
File Type: rtf shrekfiles.rtf‎ (12.1 KB, 269 views)
Old 22 May 2006, 03:39 PM   #15

OK - how does the original disk play in Showtime (the bit that is disk 1)?

This is truly bizarre. All VobBlanker does is blank the chapters out that you want blanked. It will not touch the others.

I would like you to please post the IFO files of DISK 1 and DISK 2. Zip them up and attach them please.

What are you manually copying in? That is a no-no.

BTW: Have you though about using DVD Shrink, eliminating menus, extras and other languages and getting the lot on one DVD?

Regards

Last edited by blutach; 22 May 2006 at 03:47 PM