Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Disc Formats > DVD Authoring and Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 6 Mar 2004, 02:57 AM   #1

Default Removing and Adding Chapters on DVD's

I want to make an action scene DVD; taking many small clips and burning them onto one DVD. I would like to remove the chapters which are already built-in and create new chapters that start with each new clip. How can I do this? I would also like to do this with minimal software. I don't want to spend too much on software that I'll rarely use.

Thanks
louv68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2004, 05:53 AM   #2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'd use DVDShrink. You can use it to open a DVD, reauthor and extract just the chapters you want. Do this from all the DVD that have content you want. Then combine them together into one single finished DVD that has all the previously extracted chapters. You won't get any nice menu system but it is an easy one product approach.
windtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2004, 08:30 AM   #3

That's sort of what I've been doing. I'll remove sections of video, not complete chapters; but the chapters are still within those clips. It's kind of hard to explain. I want each clip to be one chapter, so that when I advance to the next chapter it goes to the next clip and not advance "within" that clip.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your input by the way.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 06:59 AM   #4
Retired

"I want each clip to be one chapter, so that when I advance to the next chapter it goes to the next clip and not advance "within" that clip."

Once you've used DVD Shrink to create the clips, you could use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (Different than "TMPGEnc"), to add ALL of the clips to ONE track (NOT a NEW track for each clip), delete the existing chapter breaks and then add the chapter breaks you desire...
setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2004, 07:54 AM   #5

"Once you've used DVD Shrink to create the clips, you could use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (Different than "TMPGEnc"), to add ALL of the clips to ONE track (NOT a NEW track for each clip), delete the existing chapter breaks and then add the chapter breaks you desire..."

Thank you for your advice. Now I've run into a new problem. Everything appeared to be working right (minus the chapter problem). The new problem is that when I make the final backup in DVD Shrink; it places the first clip as the Main Movie and the other clips as extras. When played back as a final burned copy, there is about a one second freeze between clips I wish I could get it to play continuosly. Will creating one track with TMPGEnc DVD Author prevent this? Is there an alternative "freeware" way of preventing the one second pause between clips?
Old 7 Mar 2004, 08:19 AM   #6

Read this But setarip method works too.
Quote:
use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (Different than "TMPGEnc"), to add ALL of the clips to ONE track (NOT a NEW track for each clip), delete the existing chapter breaks and then add the chapter breaks you desire...
it should author everything in one title set without the one second freeze.
wrecked4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2004, 08:41 AM   #7

Thanks wrecked4,

I'll give it a try and let you know how it turns out.

-LouV68
Old 8 Mar 2004, 09:57 AM   #8
Retired

I guess you didn't follow my instruction to:

use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (Different than "TMPGEnc"), to add ALL of the clips to ONE track (NOT a NEW track for each clip)
setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2004, 03:39 AM   #9

For now "TMPGEnc DVD Author" is out of the question. The wife would prefer I not make any purchases right now since we just bought a house. I guess remodeling and repairs take priority.

I did find this guide which is a bit more thorough than the "setarip method" and it works fairly well. The only problem is navigating. Chaptering Fwd works, but ffwd or rew will bring you back to the first chapter. I guess it'll have to do for now.

Just out of curiosity, does "TMPGEnc DVD Author" give you fully functional discs? ie. seamless playback, full navigational controls Also, does it allow you to make menus?

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/userguides/120021.php

Thank you again for your advice.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 04:10 AM   #10
Digital Video Explorer

"Just out of curiosity, does "TMPGEnc DVD Author" give you fully functional discs? ie. seamless playback, full navigational controls Also, does it allow you to make menus?"

Yes to all your questions.
ormonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2004, 04:59 AM   #11
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There are a number of authoring tools that can do what you want and are shareware or have some form of trial. I don't have the specifics but you can look up

DVD-LAB - mediachance
My-DVD-it Sonic
DVD Workshop - Ulead

Also,you might give VOBEDIT a try. It can join the various clips together into one vob.

Lots of ways to do what you want.
windtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2004, 05:19 AM   #12
Digital Video Explorer

"There are a number of authoring tools that can do what you want and are shareware or have some form of trial."

TMPGEnc DVD Author has a trial period. (14 or 30 days)
ormonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2004, 01:07 AM   #13

You could always go the tape route. Output your files at the moment onto MiniDV, then recapture into an editing program and re-encode / author. You will loose a bit of quality, but may end up being the quickest/easiest option without haveing to buy new software.
mattgrant is offline   Reply With Quote