Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Disc Formats > DVD Authoring and Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30 Apr 2004, 02:55 AM   #1

Default TMPGEnc/Vegas not supporting AC3 streams

Regarding MPEG-2 files that have been ripped off DVDs from .vob.

When I try to edit the length of these files, the resulting file has no sound. I gather that this is because the programs I use do not support AC3 streams. I have tried many programs, including the latest versions of TMPGEnc and Vegas but no joy. The only program that has managed to keep the audio is a little program called VideoReDo, but it's a pain in the arse to use and is unstable. It just cuts the bits that I don't want out of the file, which seems to work, instead of trying to be clever and doing the whole re-encoding/re-rendering thing, like more established programs tend to do. Then with VideoReDo the output file has sound, and the AC3 stream even appears in TMPGEnc. Can anyone suggest a better program that will allow me to edit the length of an MPEG-2 that has an AC3 soundtrack? Any help would be splendid.
meirionwyllt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2004, 10:12 AM   #2
Retired

In TMPGEnc, under the "Environmental Settings" "VFAPI plugin" tab rightclick on the "Direct Show Multimedia Reader" and increase to one greater than the highest priority of listed items. This will enable TMPGEnc to accept a properly encoded .AVI with .AC3 audio for input...
setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2004, 07:40 AM   #3

thanks for that setarip. I've now tried it, but still with no luck. Fully-functional MPEG-2 files are still having their sound lost when I have them edited in TMPGEnc. I've also tried using different combinations of plugins, and temporarily switching off others. Do you have any other suggestions? your help is much appreciated.
meirionwyllt is offline   Reply With Quote