Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Disc Formats > DVD Authoring and Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11 Apr 2004, 12:25 AM   #1

Default VHS (home movies) to DVD or VCD

Ok so I'm new at this so this might sound like a lame question to all you veterans. Can you give me some advise on the hardware and software that I will need to put my home VHS movies onto DVD. I've done alot of encoding of movie downloads for VCD's but got a new computer with a DVD burner now so want to take the leap into DVD authoring. Thanks for your assistance. Great forum here
oledad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2004, 01:19 AM   #2
Digital Video Master
Digital Video Master

There are basically three ways to get VHS to your hard drive. You can install a video card or use an external hardware device ( decent ones will cost $200), or you can pick up a DV Vidcam that has analog inputs that will act as a pass-thru via the 1394 firewire (you're looking ata minimum of $500 for this option....but, then you also get a DV VidCam for use.)
rsquirell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2004, 01:42 AM   #3

The most common way to do this is actually to install a video capture card, which can be found for as little as $20. You hook your VCR up to the capture card, and more or less record the video. However, I wouldn't expect great results via this method, and it takes great deals of time and effort.

The ideal situation would be if both your VCR and video capture card had an S-Video connection, but to the best of my knowledge most VCR's do not use S-Video.
ignignot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2004, 10:24 AM   #4

Thanks guys guess i'll do a shopping for a capture card. Any sugesstions on software?
Old 11 Apr 2004, 01:41 PM   #5
Digital Video Master
Digital Video Master

well....if you buy a $20 card you'll probably be disappointed. There are cheap external devices, too....but the resolution is poor. Usually people want to do the conversion to get an exact copy of their VHS tape on DVD to save space...but if the copy isn't exact they are reluctant to get rid of the bulky VHS source. To achieve as-good-as-source quality you're looking at $200. I've heard people say good things about Snazzi, All-In-Wonder, and Happauge cards....I use a Dazzle DVC-150 external device from Pinnacle. Whatever you choose....get it at a store that will allow you to take it back, or trade up....in case you're dissappointed with the results.
rsquirell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2004, 02:29 PM   #6
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

I wanted to get a video card with tv out. I got the AIW 9000 pro, to do captures too. I've gotten excellent results with it so far. Can be a pain sometimes to install software but works great after that. These can be bought for app. $150 or less.
tigerman8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2004, 09:35 AM   #7

thanks again 150 to 200 is nor too bad. ok back to shopping
Old 9 Jun 2006, 08:55 PM   #8

Default vhs to dvd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsquirell
well....if you buy a $20 card you'll probably be disappointed. There are cheap external devices, too....but the resolution is poor. Usually people want to do the conversion to get an exact copy of their VHS tape on DVD to save space...but if the copy isn't exact they are reluctant to get rid of the bulky VHS source. To achieve as-good-as-source quality you're looking at $200. I've heard people say good things about Snazzi, All-In-Wonder, and Happauge cards....I use a Dazzle DVC-150 external device from Pinnacle. Whatever you choose....get it at a store that will allow you to take it back, or trade up....in case you're dissappointed with the results.
Hi rsquirell. I am trying to copy vhs to dvd. I also use the dvc 150 from Pinnacle. I would like to know how can you shrink or compress the files to fit on a 4.7 or 8.5 gb dvd? Maybe its a real dumb question but, I can't figure it out! Am I missing something? Please give me some advice as to what to do. Thanks. Please e-mail me at: bkorth@tds.net Thanks so much
metalspider1975 is offline   Reply With Quote