Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Disc Formats > DVD Authoring and Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24 Sep 2009, 03:44 PM   #1

Default Why Has Movie Multiple Titles

In my VIDEO_TS is one movie but it consists of 3 seperate Titles and PgcEdit shows each to have its own Menu, Subpic, Angle, Chapter menus. They are labelled VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB; VTS_02_1.VOB, VTS_02_2.VOB; etc with their own ifo's. Each varies to a bit over 1.2GB per vts.

I would have expected it to be VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, VTS_01_3.VOB, VTS_01_4.VOB, etc. I haven't seen this kind of thing before, does anyone know why this could be and what is the purpose of this?

Last edited by peterk; 24 Sep 2009 at 07:28 PM
peterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2009, 05:13 PM   #2
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

That might simply be a decision of the author of the DVD, and BTW this is very common. It's even the recommended way to author a DVD with several different titles, as each title can have its own chapter, subtitle and audio menu.

Also, if the different titles have not the same characteristics (such as differences in the aspect ratio, resolution, number of streams or stream characteristics), the titles MUST be in different titlesets (aka VTS), as all titles of the same VTS must have the same characteristics.

Moving all titles in the same VTS is therefore only possible if they are compatible. Anyway, it's not easy to do, as you will have to redo completely the authoring, and unless you have a good reason to merge several titles in one big title (not Titleset), I don't recommend to do it.

Are you sure the 3 VTS are made of the 3 parts of the same movie, or is it a collection of 3 short films or episodes?

Last edited by r0lZ; 24 Sep 2009 at 05:16 PM
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2009, 07:28 PM   #3

It is one movie. Playing each individual vob ends at a frame then continues the video with the next vob, up to the end of the 3rd one.

Last edited by peterk; 25 Sep 2009 at 09:13 AM
Old 24 Sep 2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Not a god of digital video

I've seen this bfore, too. It's a non-seamless branching nd it can be quite annoying.

If you want it all in one, you can re-author the disk yourself. Demux with PGCDemux and remux into a single title with muxman. Replace with PgcEdit or VobBlanker.

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2009, 09:18 PM   #5

Thanks blutach, you always come up with the "goods". I tried a few ways but couldn't get it together. There's a couple of proggys that you mention that I haven't tried before but I'll give them a go.
Old 25 Sep 2009, 09:22 AM   #6

I have joined the video and audio into one with new ifo's. This would be ok if I was to just have the movie but I want to keep other parts of the original dvd. Also I have lost the chapters, how do I get them back into Muxman. I have 3 cell.txt files from PgcDemux with numbers in them (not time format hr:min:sec).

If I was to use VobBlanker I assume that I replace the 1st of the 3 original VTS's (with the new vts.ifo) then do I blank the next 2 VTS's and Process. Then maybe go with PgcEdit and delete unwanted VTS's.
Old 25 Sep 2009, 04:51 PM   #7
Not a god of digital video

Create the celltimes.txt files in PgcEdit, using offsets for titles 2 and 3. Then combine the files into one. Use that file in muxman from File → Import chapters.

VobBlanker has a replace function that will replace the title while preserving the DVD structure. You may need to fiddle around with the title's post commands to get it back to the menu afterwards (instead of going to title 2), but that shouldn't be too hard.

And yes, blank titles 2 and 3 - they are now useless (if you do this, you will not need to do anything to the post commands).

Regards

Last edited by blutach; 25 Sep 2009 at 04:53 PM
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2009, 10:13 PM   #8

Thanks mate, that worked good.