Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > General > Latest News

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18 Sep 2008, 02:08 PM   #1
Administrator

Default Blu-ray Disc Prices not Dropping Any Time Soon, says BDA

Quote:
"There's not enough market [volume] to lower the price," Andy Parsons, chairman of the Blu-ray Disc Association, said at the DisplaySearch/NPD HDTV conference in Los Angeles.
http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007761.html

So because Blu-ray is not selling well, they won't lower prices, which means Blu-ray won't sell well?

I think the goal of Blu-ray has always been about generating more profit through higher prices, as volume for volume, it cannot beat DVD. And I can't see studios taking a hit profit wise just to ensure Blu-ray takes over from DVDs.
Old 18 Sep 2008, 02:25 PM   #2
Super Moderator

How many Blu-ray disks are sold worldwide a month?

Sony has increased capacity to 47 million from their 3 plants
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2008, 04:26 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I think the whole industry is dreaming

Quote:
U.S. revenue from Blu-ray sales and rentals for the first half of the year was more than $200 million
and we are 39%

200mil/6 34mil/month

34mil x 2.5 85 million sales and rentals/month worldwide

sony can make 47 million disks a month at their 3 plants

Quote:
In June, Entertainment Merchants Assn. forecast that U.S. Blu-ray revenue will reach $9.5 billion by 2012.
must be including ps3 disks?

that would be almost a 20 fold growth

arizona beachfront property

ocean view townhouse in alice springs
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 09:41 AM   #4

I think this article is a bit misleading. Since most Blu-Ray movies can actually be purchased for $20-$30, the BDA declaring that they won't be lowering prices any more doesn't actually mean they should. While their prices are still slightly more expensive than regular DVDĺs; the drastic improvement in picture and sound quality really makes up for the extra few dollars. Not to mention Blu-Ray prices vary simply on where you choose to buy them and in many cases, movies can be purchased for more or less the same price as their DVD counterparts. I've been working with Warner Home video on some Blu-Ray projects and they're really looking to add more of their catalogue to Blu-Ray.
BluFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 03:26 PM   #6
Administrator

I'm not sure the average consumers see Blu-ray as having a drastic improvement in quality. Even if they do, they probably don't care all that much as they're happy with DVDs (some are still use composite cable!). Which is why DVD, with it's superior list of titles and pricing, is so dominant at the moment.

And perhaps pricing on US internet sites (like Amazon) are acceptable, but B&M stores and overseas retailers (both online and offline) are still pricing Blu-ray about 30 to 60% higher than the price of DVDs. And that's just comparing new releases - the price difference between catalogue titles are much higher mainly because DVDs are discounted heavily after a certain period.

And then there's hardware prices between upscaling DVD players and Blu-ray players.

I say lower hardware and software prices (or provide more promotions just like when HD DVD was around) to get players into people's homes, and then you'll have volume of sales which allows for discounting after a certain period.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 03:40 PM   #7
Administrator

Speaking of Blu-ray prices, Amazon just made a major SNAFU by linking to the wrong page for their new 3-for-2 Blu-ray deal. I think they linked to the main Blu-ray portal page of Amazon, instead of the deals page, and so they had to honor all Blu-ray purchases as part of the 3-for-2. A lot of people picked up a lot of bargains, like the Godfather Trilogy and Band of Brothers.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote