Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > General > Latest News

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 8 Sep 2007, 03:24 PM   #1
Administrator

Default DivX sues Universal over copyright threats against its video-sharing site

Quote:
After months of hearing about Universal Music Group's displeasure, DivX yesterday filed a preemptive federal lawsuit of its own that asks a judge to exorcise the "specter of litigation" currently haunting DivX.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...universal.html
Old 8 Sep 2007, 06:15 PM   #2
Super Moderator

vox populi has voted, the drm police can't handle the "enforcement" because too many people disagree with music industry's approach to protecting the profit margin

what's stupid about all this, is (IMHO) that these video sites and posters are supplying free advertising and actually promoting the videos, not pirating them

music videos in themselves are not the primary income for artists and their companies,
they are run on music video public television to promote sales, so what's the difference?
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Administrator

I think the media owners are not really keeping up with what the Internet has become, and still want to apply traditional copyright restrictions. It just won't work. These video sharing sites are really just an extension of "water cooler talk", except it's on a global scale and the technology allows for media to be posted, as opposed to being just talked about. Instead of talking about a scene from last night's Family Guy, I'll simply post it (or find a link to it), share the link with my friends and then have a chat about it. You couldn't do that before, and now you can ... the media owners should realise the potential of this and capitalise on it, not to prevent it.

Of course, people should be prevented from posting full episodes or full movies, but these are in the minority.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Sep 2007, 06:03 AM   #4
NOT an online superstore

It has been proven that people file-sharing music for free has helped contribute to the sales of albums, not hurt it.

That being said, I'm not saying I do such, but I do wish they'd stop making it seem like such a crime... (And, I read somewhere that the record company only gives the artist about 10 cents per CD sale... kinda greedy if you ask me!)

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀šŰǹt̉ếř
Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
My DVD Collection
drfsupercenter is offline   Reply With Quote