Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > DVD Flick

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11 Mar 2010, 08:15 AM   #1

Default DVD Flick aspect ratio query

Having transferred a Humax PVR file to my Dell Insprion 531 (Vista Home Edition) using a memory stick,the file plays normally using VLC player, Windows Media Player does not like the .ts file. The aspect ratio of the picture is correct.

Used DVD Flick 1.3.0.7 Build 738 to create a DVD of the file which on playing on both the computer and the DVD player has now the wrong aspect ratio in that the picture is stretched vertically a bit. Tried both the 4:3 and the 16:9 settings on DVD Flick with the same result. Other DVDs created using DVD Flick from avi file downloads have been perfect. Have changed both the pixel ratio and the video aspect ratio to 16:9 and that seems to fix the stretched picture problem but gives black bars top and bottom on an old TV set.

My question now is if I copy some Humax files of BBC broadcasts to DVD to free up space on the Humax drive what aspect ratio do I use on DVD Flick 16:9 or 4:3 and what ratio do I set the pixel dimensions to? I am currently using a very old Panasonic TV soon to be replaced with a modern widescreen TV so I want the DVDs created to be suitable for that. What I don't want is to create a load of DVDs that look wrong on a widescreen TV. Any suggestions will be most gratefully received......................JR

PS DVDs made using DVD-R seem to play ok but DVDs using DVD-RW don't like fast forward as when forwarded to about 15 minutes into the programme lip sync starts to play up and the picture keeps freezing and then playing giving a jerky action with the sound doing the same thing. Creating chapters every 10 minutes does not help in fact it seems to make the problem worse.

Last edited by JohnRoss; 11 Mar 2010 at 09:11 AM Reason: error
Old 11 Mar 2010, 10:22 AM   #2
Eclectician

Try this free program and see if it works for you:
http://svcd2dvd.com/HDTV2DVD/default.aspx

It's specialized to convert .ts streams to standard DVD.
You should only need to load the .ts file and hit Go.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 07:19 PM   #3

Default Problem

Thanks for the information and I would like to try this program however every time I try to download it Windows Media Centre opens and that is all that happens. Is there any way of inhibiting Windows media Centre? Sorry I know little about computers as may be obvious............JR
Old 12 Mar 2010, 04:47 AM   #4
Eclectician

Take a look at the Tutorials section here:
http://www.vistax64.com/

It says Vista64 but plenty of it is about 32 bit Vista also.
There are lots of tutorials how to enable and disable just about every Vista feature.
Old 19 Mar 2010, 10:35 AM   #5

Thanks for the information. I have made several DVDs, thank goodness for rewriteable DVDs even if the writing speed is low, with different aspect ratios and pixel ratios and will take them round to a friend's who sports a wide screen tele and see which is best.

From another thread still hoping someone will come back with info I can understand on how to edit Humax HDR/GB PVR recordings before transfer to the computer if that is possible...................JR