Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > VirtualDub

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19 Apr 2009, 06:23 AM   #1

Default How to join 2 AVI files with different sampling rates?

I tried joining 2 AVI files with VirtualDub, and got this error:
I opened both files and set video to direct stream copy, set audio to full processing mode, set compression to mp3, 96 bitrate, and saved both.
I thought this would take care of the problem but i still get the same error message when i try to join them.

Any Ideas?
Thanks
Old 19 Apr 2009, 06:26 AM   #2
Eclectician

Try AviDemux Append function. If it doesn't let you do it, or doesn't play correctly, you may have to convert one or both.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 06:57 AM   #3

Thanks! But how exactly do I do this?
Old 19 Apr 2009, 09:18 AM   #4
Eclectician

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmaster182 View Post
Thanks! But how exactly do I do this?
First time you run AviDemux go into Edit=>Preferences=?Automation Tab

check all the boxes. Click OK.

Go to File=>Open and open the first file.
After it's done messing with that one go to
File=>Append add the second file. It should tell
you if it's willing to append or not. If so, click the
Save diskette on the toolbar.

If not, see this page. There's too much for me to recapitulate
in a post:

http://avidemux.org/admWiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
Old 19 Apr 2009, 03:25 PM   #5
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

@Brewmaster
Open any one of your files in VD. Then select "Video"/"Frame Rate". In the next window,under Source rate adjustment,select "Change frame rate to(fps)" and in the adjoining box insert the sample rate of the OTHER video file and click OK.Under Video and Audio keep Direct stream copy and save. Now you should be able to join this saved file with the other file.

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF
Old 20 Apr 2009, 05:56 AM   #6
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Lightbulb

Yo Paglamon,

I am Volunteering YOU to write a "Dummy-Proof" Guide for VirtualDub for Beginners.

You know your ways around that program inside out! So ... what will it be Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down Vote from You!
G!
Old 20 Apr 2009, 05:56 PM   #7
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

G!

You highly overrate me.
Here is a good place to start learning VD :http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/vir...procedures.htm
Old 23 Feb 2010, 06:35 PM   #8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paglamon View Post
@Brewmaster
Open any one of your files in VD. Then select "Video"/"Frame Rate". In the next window,under Source rate adjustment,select "Change frame rate to(fps)" and in the adjoining box insert the sample rate of the OTHER video file and click OK.Under Video and Audio keep Direct stream copy and save. Now you should be able to join this saved file with the other file.
I did this, but now it is saying that the two streams have different data formats. What do I do now ?
Old 23 Feb 2010, 07:40 PM   #9
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Post Mediainfo about both the streams.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 11:58 PM   #10
Gold Member
Gold Member

This is the first segment

This is the second segment

Old 25 Feb 2010, 04:24 AM   #11
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

The two segments are varying at many parameters.

1.The first segment has resolution 720 x 480 whereas the second is 720 x 576.
2. Bitrate:207 Mbps vs 249 Mbps
3. The first segment does not have any audio stream. You need to have an audio stream(even if silent) in that segment with parameters similar to the audio stream in second segment.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 03:14 AM   #12
Gold Member
Gold Member

Paglamon, I am using vdubmod to turn a DVD .VOB file into an .AVI file. I want to append a small segment which contains credits in front of this clip. The credits will be contained in a .JPG or .BMP file. I need to convert this still image into a .AVI file in such way that I can append it to the .VOB ripped segment using vdubmod (or any other software). How to go about doing this ?
Old 27 Feb 2010, 05:50 AM   #13
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

First of all, I would prefer you use AVIDemux instead of VDMod. The latter is not actively developed now.

Now to the process of making an avi from JPG. Let us suppose that the video file(to which you will append the credit) is of 25 fps and it has a resolution of 720 x 576.

1. Resize/crop the image to 720 x 576 and save it inside a folder.
2. Suppose you want the image to display for 15 sec. Now at 25 fps this will mean 25 x 15=375 frames. So you will need 375 copies of the image. Click on the image. Hit Ctrl +C. Then hold on Ctrl and just go on hitting V 374 times ! Now you have 375 copies of the credit image in the same folder.
3.You will now need to RENAME the files sequentially e.g Credit 001.jpg, Credit 002.jpg........Credit 375.jpg. For this you will need Irfanview(which has a batch renaming feature).
4.Once you have all the images sequentially numbered, start VDMod. Open the FIRST image and all the other images will be loaded. Now Under Video select Frame rate and change it to 25 fps.
5.In VDMod, select Video/Full processing mode and the under compression use the same codec that you used to encode the video file. You do not need a high bitrate to encode a still image. Keep it low (say about 50 kbps).
6.Now you will need an audio file of about 15 sec length and having similar parameters to the audio in your main video. Use any free audio editor,like Audacity, to create an audio file of 15 sec.(which may have no sound at all) and encode it with the same codec as the one used for the main video.
7.In VDMod, use this new audio file as the audio for your avi(from image). Save the avi.
8.Open the newly saved avi(made from image).Then File/Append segment and select the main video.
9.SAVE and you are done.

You may still encounter problem in appending with VDMod. In that case use AVIDemux for appending.

Last edited by paglamon; 27 Feb 2010 at 06:26 AM
Old 5 Mar 2010, 03:41 AM   #14
Gold Member
Gold Member

Paglamon, you are saying I have to use the same codec for the smaller segment which I have used to the bigger one. I don't remember using a codec while converting .vob to .avi, either audio or video. Can you therefore detail me all the processes and choices I have to make and options I have to tick while converting .vob to .avi ?
Old 5 Mar 2010, 04:59 AM   #15
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
I don't remember using a codec while converting .vob to .avi, either audio or video.
Yes, you did not. Hence you got a large file for such a small clip.If you want it uncompressed, so be it.In that case just ensure that the two clips have the same resolution( 720x576 in this case).