Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > VirtualDub

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16 Feb 2009, 06:45 PM   #1

Default XviD issue in VirtualDub

hello all, new to this forum but this problem is driving me crazy. i have looked on this forum, as well as several others, and everyone else seems to get the problem fixed quick except me

here's the situation:

downloaded a bunch of missing eps from SlamDunk!, which happen to be in .mkv format. OK, no problem, i'll download/convert and end up with some HQ .avi files. So I did. I have done this before with another series, but after using a simple conversion tool, i was left with un-embedded subtitles (making the file useless for streaming to PS3). Thought i'd give VD a run to embed the subtitles, but it's been hell so far.

Originally, I could open the .mkv file no problem in VD. But it wasn't reading my LAME MP3 ACM encoder, so I had to switch programs to get the audio files out. I don't know what happened (multiple install/uninstall of LAME i think..), but now VirtualDub 1.9.0x64 won't even open the .mkv files, saying that the version doesn't support .mkv. What the hell?? I tried 1.8 for 32-bit, 64-bit and 1.9 for 32-bit, 64-bit and NOTHING works.

along the way i installed CCCP (already had FFDShow, Haali installed). it ****ed everything up so i did a full codec strip. Re-installed FFDShow and Haali's Media Splitter. STILL, VirtualDub is not reading XviD, giving me this message:

"Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'XVID' (Unknown)

VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec..."

I have gone into the VFW config thru FFDShow and tried under the 'Decoder' tab to hav XviD managed thru the 'XviD' selection, and the 'libavcodec' selection. neither works. I installed XviD 1.2.1 (x64 compatible) and it doesn't work.

what the hell is going on here?? please help... i just want to convert these damn episodes! thanks..

EDIT: well, on a good note, i realized that i wasn't running VirtualDubMOD, so that explains why it wasn't opening the .mkv. that relieves some of my stress, but it still won't read XviD. ?

EDIT#2: ok now the XviD is working as well. now if i could just VDM to read my LAME MP3 ACM... then I could do everything in VDM instead of using MKVExtractGUI

sorry for wasting everyone's time!

Last edited by b0ssh0gg; 16 Feb 2009 at 07:07 PM
Old 16 Feb 2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
now if i could just VDM to read my LAME MP3 ACM
Have you installed this ?

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF