Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Video File Formats > AVI, DivX/Xvid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2008, 06:07 PM   #1

Default Avi2DVD & DivX caused display driver to fail?

I hope this is a good place to post this question...

Recently I was attempting to use Avi2DVD to convert an avi file to iso to burn a DVD. I opened the program and selected a file to convert. As the program was analyzing the source, suddenly the screen resolution changed - for a moment I thought it had gone into Safe Mode, because that's what the screen looked like, except I realized that it did not say "Safe Mode" in the corners of the screen. I got two error messages: "Divxsm has encountered a problem and needs to close", and "Windows display driver has stopped responding: The Ialmrnt5 display driver has stopped working normally". That last error message included instructions to reboot the computer, which I did.

Once I had rebooted, I was able to go to Control Panel->Display->Settings and change my display settings from 640x480 back to 1280x1024. Everything seemed fine, so I tried to use Avi2DVD again, and the exact same thing happened again. This time I tried to change the display settings back to normal without rebooting, but it didn't work - I had to reboot in order to get the display back to normal. For both of these attempts, I had used the same avi file, so I made a third attempt using a different avi, and this time there was no error - the program seemed to be working fine. So, I closed the program, and made a fourth attempt, once again using the same avi file from the first two tries. And, once again, I got the display driver failure and had to reboot.

I have no idea what's going on; I have used Avi2DVD many times in the past with no problem. The only thing I can think of is that about 3 weeks ago I updated to the most recent version of the Divx player/codecs (so I have version 6.8.2.1). This is the first time I have tried to use Avi2DVD since I upgraded Divx (the last time I used Avi2DVD was about a month ago), and that's really the only reason I thought that Divx might be somehow responsible for this problem. Since this problem occurred using one avi file but not another, maybe that file has something wrong with it, but I have no idea what the problem might be or how to fix it.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions! I would have posted this question on the Avi2DVD forum, but it is very inactive and most of the posts are from last year. By the way, I am running Windows XP, and I also have Avast Anti-Virus and Spybot-SD Resident running. Thanks!
medda is offline   Reply With Quote