Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Video File Formats > AVI, DivX/Xvid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2003, 02:59 AM   #1

Question Dark greenish movie

I am in the process of capturing my VHS tapes and convert it to MPEG-4. When I made the encoder test, I noticed that DivX 5.0.2 or the new 5.0.4 produce noticable darker images and that those images often have a stronger green tone (greenish). The skin color for instance changes or grass gets plastic-grass-green

Does anyone know how to correct for this problem precisely?

Thanks a lot,
Frank.
fberreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2003, 03:09 AM   #2

What program are you using for tv capturing? try using virtualdub it's a great program aand also has ALOT of options to correct the video signal(turn it brighter, correct the colour etc.). U can find it at http://www.virtualdub.com
RaVeN__thecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2003, 05:35 AM   #3

I do use VirtualVCR to capture in HuffYuv and use VirtualDub to process/encode the movie. DivX does produce a darker and greenish movie when compared to XviD with the same filters applied.
What I'm looking for is how to correct for the problem (filter and settings) although I'm under the impression that DivX has a severe bug in the encoding engine that causes the color/brightness problem. I never had an encoder that would do that "naturally". Take XviD, MPEG1 or MPEG2 or WMV take whatever encoder you want - they all might differ in the details/blockiness of the encode but do not produce color shifts or loss of brightness.
What would you think about an audio MP3 codec that degrades the high frequency signal and where you would have to apply some EQ to correct for this?!?
If this cannot be solved easily then I have just one advise for DivX users - stay away from it and use Xvid! Even though it's beta, it's much better
fberreth is offline   Reply With Quote