Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Video File Formats > AVI, DivX/Xvid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 8 Nov 2005, 10:59 PM   #1
NOT an online superstore

Default Dr. DivX Question

Got a few questions - and if there was something I needed to change, I would need to know soon, as my trial expires in 1 day. I was encoding Spider-Man (full screen) to an AVI - so I used Decrypter to put the files on my HD. I then opened them up in Dr. DivX. Worked fine. However there were a few things that I found to be odd:
1. 640x464 is the frame size they give you, even though true 4x3 is 640x480. The only way to change it is to crop stuff. I just made mine the biggest possible to assure good quality.
2. It sets the framerate at 23.976fps - which is what film uses. Why, however does it change the framerate if it is coming from an NTSC DVD. Would the framerate difference affect the quality?

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀šŰǹt̉ếř
Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
My DVD Collection
drfsupercenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2005, 11:09 PM   #2
Not a god of digital video

1. 640 x 480 includes overscan I would think
2. 23.976 is the NTSC standard after 2-3 pulldown of a 59.94Hz signal (multiply 59.94 by 2/5). The 29.97 you are used to is the frequency of an interlaced NTSC signal (59.94 / 2)

More info? See here and here.

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Last edited by blutach; 8 Nov 2005 at 11:21 PM
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2005, 07:03 AM   #3
NOT an online superstore

One other thing, when I said "high definiton" it said that it was going to make it at 1000 Kbps so it would be less than 1GB total - isn't that pretty low quality? I told it to make one file at 4000 MB and that is decent quality, I wonder why 1000 is considered HD then...

Also, it is strange that in WMP, the video is DVD quality at 100% size but the second I make it bigger (full screen) it is all pixelated and looks bad.

As for the 4x3 - you can do simple math and see that 640/480=1.333, same as 4/3. So wouldn't 640x480 be "true" 4:3?

Should I leave the encoded file as-is then since it is normally converted to 23.97fps? Just curious as to WHY it is converted - what is wrong with just leaving it NTSC?
drfsupercenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2005, 08:23 AM   #4
Not a god of digital video

drf - read the link. 23.976 IS NTSC.
I've answered you with respect to 640/480.

God knows what WMP does, but making anything bigger makes it subject to artifacts.

I don't actually use Dr DivX so I would only be guessing as to why it's quality settings were not as you wanted.

Regards
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote