Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Video File Formats > AVI, DivX/Xvid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2009, 11:38 AM   #1

Default DVD Rip To Ipod Help Please?

I just bought Spamsoft DVD To iPod Converter and it works okay, I just have a few questions.
1) It takes two hours per TV show DVD. Anyway I can speed that up?
2) The files are so large, I just did one show and each ep was between 3-400MB. Two and a half episodes and I just lost a gig off my iPod. Is there anyway to make it so I rip smaller files? Most of the ones I see online for download are way smaller, like around 1-200MB.

EDIT:
I just tried to read the guide, everything there says SPAM REMOVED. Is that a problem with my computer or something?

Last edited by NVash; 20 Jan 2009 at 11:41 AM
Old 21 Jan 2009, 12:10 AM   #2
Not a god of digital video

What guide?

BTW: Sorry to say, but Spamsoft is one of the worst software houses going around. It is a frequent spammer of all the video related forums and most of us can't stand the sight of them and thier overpriced junk.

Now, as to your question. When you are re-encoding and changing formats, it takes time! You can reduce the bitrate to save space (after all, it's just an ipod you're viewing on, not a huge plasma or projector). So, try halving it. This wont save time though - that is dependent on your computer speed and the length of the video (40 minutes per ep, I guess). You can also try to reduce the resolution. DVD comes in full D1 (720 x 576 PAL or 720 x 480 NTSC). For viewing on a portable device, you might try halving those parameters. This will speed things up.

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Old 21 Jan 2009, 10:32 AM   #3

Thanks for the information and the welcome, I think it was the DVD to iPod guide. I seem to be reading everywhere that Spamsoft is horrible, I only wish I saw that before I purchased it. I tried to use Handbrake but that didnt help me any at all, I couldnt even figure out how to get it started.

Any programs that will convert whole TV episodes or even whole DVDs for free and at good quality? My main objective is to make my iPod into a handheld DVD player if you would. I have a lot of DVDs and I just want to be able to rip them and put them there so I can watch whatever whenever you know? Keeping a decent quality helps, I dont have a plasma and viewing it full screen on my computer was fine as long as I wasnt up close.
Old 21 Jan 2009, 10:41 AM   #4
Not a god of digital video

Consider AVIDemux or for SUPER. Google them

Regards
Old 21 Jan 2009, 10:50 AM   #5
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Hi NVash,

Spamsoft is not as bad as it sounds ... I actually have used their Spamsoft Video Converter and it is "dummy-proof" ...

But converting DVDs to iPod ... just think MP4 (MPEG4) format ... that is the format that iPod reads.

G!
Old 25 Mar 2009, 02:55 AM   #6

Hi,
You can laso use [ripping tool deleted], it has a "built in" dvd ripper that allows you to convert to all popular video formats inclueding for iPOD.

Last edited by blutach; 25 Mar 2009 at 08:04 AM
Old 25 Mar 2009, 03:48 AM   #7
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Thumbs down

Dgvid,

But not a Freeware!

G!
Old 27 Mar 2009, 07:28 PM   #8
Video Fan

Generally, you can choose the relatively low output quality to speed up the conversion speed.

As to the large size, you also can to lower the output quality and bitrate to smaller the size.

BTW, I am using a free program named My-Company-Spams-Forums free dvd to ipod converter, it has fast conversion speed and excellent output quality. More important, it's totally free.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 02:45 AM   #9
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitmore View Post
...BTW, I am using a free program named My-Company-Spams-Forums free dvd to ipod converter, it has fast conversion speed and excellent output quality. More important, it's totally free.
Hi Fruitmore,

Thanks for the Freeware for folks visiting Digital Digest.

I tend to shy-away from Freewares from China ... but I see CNET says that is "Tested Spyware Free" ... so I guess it is OK!

My-Company-Spams-Forums Free DVD to iPod Converter 1.3.1
http://download.cnet.com/My-Company-Spams-Forums-Free-...-10909841.html

THANKS again,

G!