Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Video File Formats > AVI, DivX/Xvid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 1 Feb 2009, 09:02 AM   #1
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Question Fast Forwarding in AVI

Hi folks,

Can anybody tell me if it is possible to have some sort of Chaptering associated with AVI video files?

Kind of like a DVD ... if you stop watching your movie after 50 minutes into the movie ... the next day you can quickly go to that mark point ... with AVI ... the only thing I can do is to set the fast forward 32X on and let the AVI fast forward to the point that I want ... but that is kind of annoying.

So, now I am thinking Archiving my DVDs to AVI to put on a large Hard Drive might not be the smartest way to go.

Any thoughts would be appreicated!

G!
gonwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Feb 2009, 09:31 AM   #2
Eclectician

What player do you have? It's my understanding that Divx Ultra supports menus and chapters. I'm not sure what's in Divx 7. Found this post but it's a couple of years old:

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic314555.html
MilesAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Feb 2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Eclectician

@gonwk the other thing that occurred to me was most players have a feature where you can jump to some time into the disk. So if you stopped watching somewhere around 43 minutes and some seconds into the disk, you can jump to 42 or 43 minutes that fast forward at 2 or 4x to get to the spot. It's easier than just 32xing from the beginning.
Old 7 Feb 2009, 06:51 PM   #4
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
@gonwk the other thing that occurred to me was most players have a feature where you can jump to some time into the disk. So if you stopped watching somewhere around 43 minutes and some seconds into the disk, you can jump to 42 or 43 minutes that fast forward at 2 or 4x to get to the spot. It's easier than just 32xing from the beginning.
my LD player had that option, but my pioneer hometheater doesnt and gonwk u think 32x is annoying .. my player can do just 2x for avi's...once i had to finish the movie last 5 or 8 mins and twice i tried to forward and always forgot to stop cause it takes so much time, i went to my pc and finished it there.
atifsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2009, 04:21 AM   #5
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by atifsh View Post
my LD player had that option, but my pioneer hometheater doesnt and gonwk u think 32x is annoying .. my player can do just 2x for avi's...once i had to finish the movie last 5 or 8 mins and twice i tried to forward and always forgot to stop cause it takes so much time, i went to my pc and finished it there.
Haha ... that is exactly what happens to me ... start the Fast Forward and get busy doing something else ... and forget it ... lol.

Thanks guys!

G!
gonwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2009, 05:52 AM   #6
Eclectician

On mine the most annoying "feature" is the time display. It shows chapters hours minutes seconds all run together in one long number. Looks like a serial number rather than the time. Guess I should dig out the manual and see if there's a way to change the output format.