Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Video File Formats > AVI, DivX/Xvid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 9 Mar 2002, 04:44 PM   #1

Default FlaskMPEG screwing up, in the same way, on all three of my computers...

I open flask. When I try and open the *.ifo file (This is for Shaolin Soccer, but I'm assuming that that doesn't matter. It's a region free dvd), I also either get an error message simply saying "An error occured while trying to open the file" or something to do with parsing the ifo file... Now I've installed both versions of Flask about three times each. Then I did the XMpeg Pro! or whatever, and it didn't work either. I tried it for another DVD, smae problem. And the weirdest thing is, FlaskMPEG worked great before. I encoded Hard Boiled and Battle Royale (VCD, not DVD, but still something) without a hitch. Any ideas on what went wrong and how I can fix it? thanks.
floydian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2002, 04:46 PM   #2
Old member

What version of Flask? If I remember correctly, Flask 0.6 (unpatched) cannot parse .ifo files.
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2002, 04:50 PM   #3

Yeh. its 0.6, but I downloaded the thunder file for it. And like i said, using the EXACT same program, nothing has happend since that i know of, I was able to encode two other movies, one a DVD from the ifo and the other a VCD.
Old 9 Mar 2002, 04:54 PM   #4
Old member

Give 0.594 a try. It's still more stable than its younger sibling.

Also, if you wish to encode VCDs, Virtual/nandub will do the job just the same, but with far more options than Flask can offer.
Old 9 Mar 2002, 04:56 PM   #5

Hey, thanks for the advice. I actually had already tried .594... with that there is a different problem. I select the file, seems like it gonna open (go ahead and select the audio and subtitles), then nothing comes up. The program sits there as if I has cancelled out. I've tried that a few times as well.

I'll be sure to check out that other program next time I do a VCD. I'll probably be doing that fairly soon, so I'll be sure to come to you if i need any help with it! Hehe. Thanks again, and if you get any more ideas, I'll be more than grateful.
Old 9 Mar 2002, 05:05 PM   #6
Old member

If you're having real trouble with Flask, I suggest either reinstalling the program (or more radically, Windows). A better idea would be to move to more versatile programs, like Nandub or VirtualDub, depending on which video codec you wish to use. Nandub goes with 3.11 (My fav). Virtualdub goes with most codecs, but 2-pass option of 3.11 is not available on it.

You will need to look for the proper guides to get you started. Basically, you will need to:
1. Frameserve using DVD2AVI
2. Use Virtualdub/Nandub to encode the video (The one that will take the longest, as you probably know already)
3. Process audio using a separate program (Graphedit, ac3dec, etc.)
4. Interleave audio and video using Virtualdub.

Not as easy as Flask indeed, but the quality you get will make you never look back at Flask ever again.