Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Video File Formats > AVI, DivX/Xvid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 9 Aug 2009, 05:09 AM   #1

Question-2 Mpeg Conversion Question

I'm trying to burn some DVD's of a few WMV videos i have on my computer. I'm using a program that only burns MPEG videos onto DVD's. This program also has a conversion option, but when I converted the desired WMV videos to MPEG it completely shoots the sound AND video quality. it offers like 5 different kinds of MPEG conversions i've tried them all and they all completely kill the quality of the videos.

should I just try another DVD burning program all together or is there a certain type of MPEG video i should be trying to convert to?!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks
manderdepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2009, 05:25 AM   #2
Eclectician

You can try FAVC. It comes in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. The HC encoder has a "predictive quantizer" option that's kind of like between 1 and 2 pass. It takes a bunch of samples and then does a 1 pass conversion with HC. The cool thing about FAVC is if you have a multi-core PC you can set it to launch an instance of the video encoder for each core. All the cores will be maxed out during the video conversion.

If you don't want to dedicate your machine to the conversion while it's running you can also try DVD Flick. The thing with Flick is sometimes a particular version will have a problem with a particular type of input, so it's cool to have a couple of releases installed. I have both 1306 and 1307 installed on my machine. It's not as fast as FAVC but like FAVC it has menu creation and gives good results.
MilesAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2009, 07:56 AM   #3
Eclectician

btw you don't mention what OS you are running. If it's XP then you're probably good to go. If it's Vista or Windows7 I'd recommend getting the Shark's Codec Pack.
MilesAhead is offline   Reply With Quote