Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Video File Formats > AVI, DivX/Xvid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 1 Nov 2002, 10:25 PM   #1

Angry MPEG1 to DivX

I use PowerVCR II to capture my tv shows which are recorded in MPEG1 format. When I play┤em (.mpg) in Windows Media everything works well: audio and video are synchronized.

However this file type is too large and I change the format to AVI using NanDub and DivX + MP3 encoding. Every thing works worse: audio and video desynchronize even using Nundubs frame rate control to force a sync.

What should I do to get a sync?

Note: My hardware is a Duron 1000 MHz 256 MB RAM HD 40 GB 7200 RPM GeForce 2 64MB SoundBlaster Live! 5.1

Please, HEEEEELLLLPPPPP!
bodyslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2002, 12:52 AM   #2
Retired

When you first convert to DivX-compressed .AVI, set the audio to PCM (Uncompressed .WAV) audio at 48,000Hz. (This will create a file which is in excess of 1Gig in size,but not to worry, since this is an intermediate file that you'll subsequently eliminate.). Then close NanDub and restart it. Load this new file. Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying" and "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode". Select your .MP3 audio settings and save with a new name.

You can then delete the version with PCM audio.

Let us know of your success ;>}
setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2002, 08:39 AM   #3

Tnx, setarip, I┤ll try that. Just one mor information: may I put the video and audio in same avi file or should┤em be saparated?

Tnx again,
Slicer Man

PS. I┤ll try this workaround at monday.

Quote:
Originally posted by setarip
When you first convert to DivX-compressed .AVI, set the audio to PCM (Uncompressed .WAV) audio at 48,000Hz. (This will create a file which is in excess of 1Gig in size,but not to worry, since this is an intermediate file that you'll subsequently eliminate.). Then close NanDub and restart it. Load this new file. Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying" and "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode". Select your .MP3 audio settings and save with a new name.

Old 2 Nov 2002, 12:13 PM   #4
Retired

"may I put the video and audio in same avi file?"

Absolutely ;>}
Old 3 Nov 2002, 09:08 PM   #5

Quote:
"may I put the video and audio in same avi file?"

Absolutely ;>}

Hi setarip,

Didn┤t work: I┤ve compressed the video in divx format with audio pcm. It played desync. Then I┤ve converted de audio to mp3 and baoth audio and video remained desync. I┤ve tried using video framerate conversion to match┤em but didin┤t work.

Well, what else can i do? I use power vcr II v3 for capturing. The audio can be captured only in mp3 format (this software has no other option for audio enconding, neither PCM).

Tnx,

Slicer Man

Old 4 Nov 2002, 05:06 AM   #6
Retired

Try using the free capture software included in VirtualDub (.AVI format)- and capture audio as Uncompressed PCM (.WAV) at 48,000Hz. Capture video using a lossless codec such as HuffyUV (If you try to capture using a DivX codec you'll drop far too many frames).

You can then use VirtualDub to compress both video and audio simultaneously...

Last edited by setarip; 4 Nov 2002 at 05:10 AM
Old 4 Nov 2002, 10:15 AM   #7

Quote:

tried to compress a mpeg-1 720 x 576 with virtual dub, setting full processing mode >divx 5.02 and audio >full processing mode >uncompressed wav and it worked just fine.

after i just set video >direct stream copy and audio > full processing mode > mpeg-layer-3 (or whatever) and it worked just fine.
vali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2002, 12:29 AM   #8

Well guys, thank you all. I'll try your suggestions and post a reply of my success.

The Slicer Man
Old 13 Nov 2002, 12:51 AM   #9

Question

Hi, setarip, it's me again

Now everything syncs well but when my videos are greater than about 20 minuts, the dub process stops. When I capture some video, the files strip near 20 minuts. Is there any reason for that? it seams to be happening with every video software in my computer...

Slicer Man

Old 13 Nov 2002, 01:26 AM   #10
Retired

"the files strip near 20 minuts. Is there any reason for that? it seams to be happening with every video software in my computer."

If this is happening with more than one capture program, perhaps you're running out of hard drive space. If it's happening only with VirtualDub's capture program, check the settings (such as "Timing") under the "Capture" dropdown menu...

By the way, glad to hear my suggestion got you back into synch ;>}
Old 16 Nov 2002, 11:10 PM   #11

Default AAAAHHHHHH!

Hi setarip,

Sorry if i┤m anoying you but my head is blowing

The files already strips near 20 minuts and/or 600-700 MB of size
I have a HD 7400 RPM with 20gb of free space. I JUST FORMATED my HD, reinstaled WXP and the capture drivers and gordianknot 0.26. Then I capture video and the same shit occurs: the capturing job stops or the file strips. The I join the striped files in one and try to dub┤em to divx and the dub proccess stops near 20 minuts! My capture card is Prolink bt 878P+ R8E, Have a GForce 2 64mb tvout. All of them used to work well and I thoug it could be some WXP malfunction... then I reinstalled the system and got NOTHING!

Sorry again but i┤m near to kill someone! This is the last time I bore you about this matter but do you know who, where, when or how can I solve this??? Tnx,

Tired Slicer Man

Quote:
"the files strip near 20 minuts. Is there any reason for that? it seams to be happening with every video software in my computer."

If this is happening with more than one capture program, perhaps you're running out of hard drive space. If it's happening only with VirtualDub's capture program, check the settings (such as "Timing") under the "Capture" dropdown menu...

By the way, glad to hear my suggestion got you back into synch ;>}
Old 17 Nov 2002, 06:09 AM   #12
Retired

This is a long shot, but its truly the last thing I can think of:

If you've got a Creative Labs .MP3 audio codec installed, uninstall it. Various posts at these forums have indicated that this particular codec limits filesize to 9,995 frames. Install and use the radium .MP3 codec instead.

Old 27 Nov 2002, 12:27 AM   #13

Cool-2 GOD! TnX!

This is the question! I really use Creative's MP3 codec! Thank You for all. Now it works fine!

The Happy Slicer Man

Quote:
This is a long shot, but its truly the last thing I can think of:

If you've got a Creative Labs .MP3 audio codec installed, uninstall it. Various posts at these forums have indicated that this particular codec limits filesize to 9,995 frames. Install and use the radium .MP3 codec instead.

Old 27 Nov 2002, 01:30 AM   #14
Retired

My pleasure ;>}