Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Video File Formats > AVI, DivX/Xvid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15 Oct 2007, 03:52 AM   #1

Default Need some help with converting .vob files.

I'm not sure if it's my computer or my recorder, but anytime I try to rip the .vob files from the disc that I recorded a show on, it doesn't have all of the video.

It has all the chapters and video if I play it in PowerDVD, but when I try to rip the .vobs using Spamsoft or anything else, it gives me random chunks and snippets of what I recorded.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

I'm also using a DVD recorded and moving data from my television to my computer using DVD+RWs if that helps.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 03:06 PM   #2
Not a god of digital video

Well, first of all, there no need for rubbish like Spamsoft.

Second, if you have recorded off your TV, there's no need to rip the files - just copy them in Windows Explorer.

It might be that your recorder has not closed the disk properly and written its IFO files. Be sure to do this before editing.

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Old 15 Oct 2007, 10:55 PM   #3

Thanks!

I guess I kind of worded it wrong. I'm looking to convert the .vob files to .avi files.

However, whenever I try to play the .vob in VCL or any media player, it will sometimes give me random chunks of video. FixVTS helped a little bit. I think the problem may just be that my DVD player cuts off about 5-10 seconds on each end of each chapter.

What exactly do you mean by "closing" the DVD?

And also, do you happen to know of a good program to convert .ifo or .vob to .avi?

Thank you in advance!
Old 16 Oct 2007, 03:49 AM   #4
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
And also, do you happen to know of a good program to convert .ifo or .vob to .avi?
AutoGK. And a load of other programs.Please search the forum(for DVD to AVI) and you will find more than enough info on this.

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF