Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Video File Formats > AVI, DivX/Xvid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 8 Jul 2005, 12:38 AM   #1

Default new divx 6 codec or still 5.2.1?

Hi

usually its easy to download free divx codec bundle from divx.com but now something changed and i am a bit irritated what to download.Is there a divx codec 6 available or not?I only need the codec...no trial divx create bundle or pro codec.

please help

greets
Diego

Last edited by ZZ-Diego; 8 Jul 2005 at 12:43 AM
ZZ-Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2005, 07:49 AM   #2
just farted

download it, uncheck everything except Divx 6 codec. It also asks you if you want to install Google toolbar too just to let you know.

i dunno, i tried converting an mpeg movie file to AVI using divx codec with TMPGEnc and WinAVI and neither program could do it with divx 6. I got into the settings and everything but when i went to start encoding, i got an error.

also, just to let you know, i was able to play a divx 6 encoded video without divx even installed.
rahzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2005, 11:14 AM   #3

I just tried Divx 6 and did not like it at all. It is MUCH slower and didn't successfully finish the conversion. The video options are totally different now and it seems that, in order to get a decent looking conversion, you now have to spend almost 24 hours to convert one movie. I uninstalled it and reinstalled version 5.21
The Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2005, 10:54 PM   #4
Super Moderator

divx 6 works fine (use virtualdub/mod). still, even on highest quality, 3 passes, still does not beat xvid 2-pass at the same bitrate IMO...

and have not noticed any real quality difference between 5.2.1 and 6

anonymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2005, 07:51 AM   #5

Thank you guys for this informations.Tried divx bundle 6 now and installed as you described above. Encoding picture quality enhanced and multilanguage subtitle support is great now but somehow playback takes much more resources...got some problems in some applications (subtitle workshop for example)...hangs....

Didn┤t like it that much and got back to 5.2.1. now.

greetings
Diego
ZZ-Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2005, 08:23 PM   #6

Thumbs down Divx 6 - a doubtful improovement

Hi guys... I just had to sign in an post a reply. A few days ago i ordered my upgrade to Version 6 Divx. All i can say is that i am very disappointed.

Advertising said it's 40% faster?! Thats sheepdip - it took about 8 hrs to render a 720x576 PAL TV Show using the highest Quality setting. (single pass)

Ok well, i thought thats just the way it is in highest setting. So i backed it off a little bit: 5:40:00 in second highest quality setting. Quality looked almost identical on my PC (well i'll underline PC here, cause later on I will make a comment about DIVX certified DVD Players and Divx 6)

So i backed it off one more time: 4:30:00 - still dissapointing slow.

Back to standard settings it took 3:50:00 with quite visible blocking accuring. Bitrate btw. was 1022kbit/s, and nothing of the extra ehancements selected.

Anyhow - so i burned each "try" back-to-back to a single dvd to check for quality diffrences on my DivX Certified DVD Player. The Files played and from the first glinch, i couldnt tell what was the "big thing" about the best rendering option decoded video compared to the 2nd and 3rd best setting. They all appeared the same visually - at least nothing that would justify the +3 to +5 hrs of encoding.

now, while having them movies play a while instead of just skipping through them, each and every single movie showed hanging, skipping... short timeouts ticks... in worst case even causing the movie to completely stop and return to the dvd main menu. how annoying!

so even with the backdraw of encoding time - to me thats the drop that spilled the cup. I started to seek information about divx 6 issues and found certain forums like these having similar type of complaints all over. So i signed in here to share my 2 cents as well.

I will contact DIVx and ask for a bargain or free version of divX 7 whenever it will be out. Cause for the first time, I am very disappointed with the divx 6 pro bundle. I wouldnt even consider Divx 6 as a stable release!

Render times are up to 200% to 400% instead of the advertised 40% speed gain. And worst of all, the vids dont even play on an original certified DVD Player. And thats something they advertise very loudly - that divx encoded files play flawlessly on every certiefied piece of hardware.

Of course i double-checked all the settings. And to give the final evidence, i did what many others did: went back to divX 5.21 - Virtualdubbed the same tv episode with the same filters and all other settings like i did in the Divx 6 and - hard to guess - divx 5.21 cuts through this butter in 2:30:00 hrs and puts a divx file on the plate that looks and plays flawless on all my hardware.

btw. i also noticed the same chunky playback behavior on my PC that was also described here by ZZ-Diego.

So I'm back to my 5.21 and will stay with it till they come up with a mayor bugfix. I'd also expect a money back or free licence, cause this release, isnt worth a nickel, penny nor dime. (...and I regret I jumped inn on that upgrade offer so mindlessly. I trusted Divx before I have to admitt.. but now I will be much more careful for future versions and rather stay with what "works" and gets the job done)

Addtional: the Converter looks neat, good idea. But if it's based on DIVx 6 engine (and why shouldnt it be based on it), then it comes with the same backdraws and turns out to be useless as well.

My System for all who wondered:
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
1 Gig Ram
WinXP Home
Ati 9700 Radeon 128 MB

Hope some may find this useful
Thozi

Last edited by Thozi; 18 Aug 2005 at 08:27 PM
Thozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2005, 12:53 AM   #7
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maynard
I just tried Divx 6 and did not like it at all. It is MUCH slower and didn't successfully finish the conversion. The video options are totally different now and it seems that, in order to get a decent looking conversion, you now have to spend almost 24 hours to convert one movie. I uninstalled it and reinstalled version 5.21
my sediments exactly. when I saw how slow it was I said bull on this. I did let it complete to see what quality output was like. IMO xvid is still hands down the clear winner for speed and quality
tigerman8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2005, 11:15 AM   #8
Super Moderator

yup, and xvid is also completely free.. the only mpeg-4 codec that beats it is x264, but ain't ready for mainstream yet (excellent results though )
Old 20 Aug 2005, 08:44 AM   #9

hey friends im new at the forum

so do you suggest i use XVID instead of DIVX?

i compressed a DVD movie with DIVX6 using 800kbits/s and that ultra-quality preset (low speed/filesize) and it took like 1 DAY in my ATHLON 1.1GHz and the quality wasnt good..
Seyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2005, 09:13 AM   #10
Super Moderator

xvid is very highly recommended by me and many others who dwell these forums. it is a much faster, better quality (IMO) and FREE alternative to divx. guides to using it can be found at http://www.doom9.org as well as http://www.divx-digest.com

i suggest you use the program "gordian knot" to do the job
Old 20 Aug 2005, 09:30 AM   #11
Super Moderator

http://www.free-codecs.com

http://www.doom9.org

http://www.google.com
Old 20 Aug 2005, 09:33 AM   #12

just found it on google hehehe
Seyss is offline   Reply With Quote