Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Video File Formats > AVI, DivX/Xvid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 7 Jul 2005, 02:31 PM   #1

Default Play multiple DivX's from DVD media

Hi all,
I'm in progress of buying a DVD player instead of using the computer and are wondering if you can burn lets say five 700mb episodes on a DVD disc and still be able to play them in a regular DivX enabled DVD player?
Can the players out there find the separate episodes without a menu or is there some kind of browsing capacity built in the DivX enabled DVD players?
Is there any nice application out there that could help me in constructing a small menu for those episodes, with a screenshot and some info attached?

Thanx!
Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jul 2005, 04:36 PM   #2
Demigod of Digital Video

yes you can add 5 or more 700 mb files to a dvd-5.

since you didn't get any other responses i'm pretty sure no, about the player being able to make it own menu's. etc

for this you might as well convert them all to dvd format, but if you can live without menus etc, you can fit a lot more on a standard disc.
"You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
(An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

LT. Columbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jul 2005, 04:47 PM   #3
Retired

"Can the players out there find the separate episodes without a menu or is there some kind of browsing capacity built in the DivX enabled DVD players?"

The Philips DVP 642 automatically provides a basic menu for DVDs containing multiple .AVI files (DivX-compressed or XviD-compressed)...
setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jul 2005, 03:08 AM   #4

Thanx for the replies, also did a visit at my local vendor with a homeburned DVD with some DivX's on it....worked on all of them but with some differences in browsingcapacity/layout.
I was surprised how bad the quality was, even though I know quality cannot be as good as on a computer..hmm, this needs some thinking over.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 06:00 AM   #5
Demigod of Digital Video

i will assume the menu's setarip speaks of are the very basic menu's only....if not, enlighten us setarip please.ty
LT. Columbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jul 2005, 08:58 AM   #6
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

the menu is basic. it gives the name of each file and you use the up/down arrow on the remote to move to the different files.
tigerman8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jul 2005, 01:17 AM   #7

Yup, very basic indeed.
But sufficient for just picking up those titles, even a couple of them seemed to have a decent structure starting at "root", to bad I didn't think of putting a couple of those titles in named folders, but from the look of it it seems that at least a few of them can handle a directory structure.
That would mean that you can actually have all media on same DVD-r.., DivX, Mp3, Jpeg...and so on.
Not bad at all, just the quality issue...

Last edited by Clint; 9 Jul 2005 at 01:23 AM
Old 9 Jul 2005, 09:59 AM   #8
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

"just the quality issue..."

I have 2 philips dvp642's. They will play the quality only as good as the source/encode is. garbage in garbage out Try a regular dvd on the 642 and it will be good. If the avi (divx/xvid) is from a good source such as a dvd AND ENCODED PROPERLY it will be of outstanding quality.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 02:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerman8u
"just the quality issue..."

I have 2 philips dvp642's. They will play the quality only as good as the source/encode is. garbage in garbage out Try a regular dvd on the 642 and it will be good. If the avi (divx/xvid) is from a good source such as a dvd AND ENCODED PROPERLY it will be of outstanding quality.
Ok, guess I'll have to find a dvp642 for comparison then
The DivX's I had with me is of top quality, that I know.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 03:46 PM   #10
Retired

"The DivX's I had with me is of top quality, that I know."

Actually, you don't know - until you've seen them played back via a DVD player-TV setup...
setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jul 2005, 04:18 PM   #11
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

to many ppl think that if you have a video of full D1 resolution (720x480/576) it's gonna look better that a smaller resolution 1/2 D1 (352x480/576) or 1/4 D1 (352x240/288). Not necessarily so. If you take the same source even a good clean dvd rip and encode at full D1 resolution using an mpeg4 encoder and low bitrate you will be subject to introducing macroblocks and overall poor quality. Use the same bitrate and lower the resolution to say 1/4 D1 and the result will be sharper and better quality. This also applies to mpeg 1/2 encoding. To many ppl try to keep a high/full D1 resolution and lower the bitrate so it will fit on one cd. Don't work that way. You have to adjust the bitrate up to match higher resolutions. Bottom line given all factors the higher the resolution the more bitrate you have give to maintain the quality.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 01:03 AM   #12

Ok, thanx..I will have to grab another rip as well then as a comparison.

Old 5 Aug 2005, 09:19 PM   #13
Banned

GNU Version try - http://weethet.nl/english/video_diko_avi2dvd.php

Paid - Use Mainconcept MPEG Encoder and then DVDlab

Both work well and can provide you with Menus etc, extensive options in DVDlab only.
<!-- / message -->
techreactor is offline   Reply With Quote