Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Video File Formats > AVI, DivX/Xvid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 6 Aug 2005, 05:52 PM   #1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Pls assist : need to convert VCD into DVD ?

I need to convert my old VCDs to DVDs ? can anyone pls show me or tell me of a program (preferrably freeware) that would do this for me ?

I have NERO 6 on installed and i can get to a stage that will allow me to isobuster but then to convert MPG files into VOB i cannot find a program ...just trial ones ? i think such program is called DVD authoring program just like " TMPG dvd authoring enc " ? i think

thank you and pls advise

Last edited by alykhalil; 6 Aug 2005 at 05:53 PM Reason: ammended words
alykhalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Aug 2005, 05:56 PM   #2
Demigod of Digital Video

copy files to your HD then convert the .dat files,

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
(As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")
"You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
(An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

LT. Columbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Aug 2005, 06:24 PM   #3
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

cheers mate...can you also pls let me know what DVD format can be run worldwide ? is it NTSC or PAL ? if i use TmPGenc, will it make a DVD that can be run worldwide or just certain countries ? & is tmpgec dvd authoring freeware ? thank you
Old 6 Aug 2005, 06:33 PM   #4
Demigod of Digital Video

you can choose either ntsc or pal with tmpgenc in the wizard.

dvd author is not freeware, but you can get a 30 day fully functional trial here

http://www.dvdr-digest.com/software/tmpgenc_author.html
Old 6 Aug 2005, 07:13 PM   #5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

can you pls finally let me know, out of NTSC or PAL, which format will work worldwide/universal...thank you
Old 7 Aug 2005, 05:50 AM   #6
Demigod of Digital Video

it really depends on the player, my toshiba won't read pal dvd's but will pal vcd's, my el-cheapo sungale dvd player plays everything under the sun.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 04:25 PM   #7
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbo999
it really depends on the player, my toshiba won't read pal dvd's but will pal vcd's, my el-cheapo sungale dvd player plays everything under the sun.
-----------------------------------

I tried using isobuter, but since the file size of VCDs are smaller i though of combining 2 to 3 VCDs together and burn it onto 1 DVD...! but i am unable to attach/stich several .MPG files for use with TMPGenc DVD authoring. i tried windows movie maker but the output file is WMA and TMPG dont recognise that...

any solutions for this please....cheers
Old 7 Aug 2005, 06:33 PM   #8
Banned

Well use DVDLab pro (free for 30 days) to encode your mpg files into DVD, also has a neat beginners guide by "reboot":

DVDLAB : www.mediachance.com

GUIDE : http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?...boot&listall=1

For your PAL/NTSC issue, it is always better to encode in your country's TV standard i.e. PAL/NTSC, while most new DVD players will play/convert from/to PAL/NTSC but local standard is the best to encode, look below for your region

REGIONS : http://hometheater.about.com/cs/dvdl...gioncodesa.htm

Last edited by techreactor; 7 Aug 2005 at 06:36 PM
techreactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Aug 2005, 06:50 PM   #9
Not a god of digital video

Almost all PAL players and TVs play NTSC without a problem. However, NTSC players/TVs tend to have more difficulty with PAL.

If it is for world-wide distibution, make 2 versions.

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

blutach is offline   Reply With Quote