Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Video File Formats > AVI, DivX/Xvid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16 Mar 2003, 07:32 PM   #1

Default A very difficult challenge (I think) for those who're good amongst you

Right - now this is probably going to be just a little awkward for even the best at compression amongst you. I've got a player (for a piece of hardware) that has a file-size limit ~8mb... It could be slightly under, so for the sake of argument lets say 7. I'm aiming to encode about 25-30 mins of video into that - and heres the VERY tricky bit - using the old DivX 4.12 codec and only the 1-pass version at that (unless the new ver of virtualdub is bad at doing 2-pass, the player seems to be incompatible with that method). I've got it down so far to 17mb at 320x240 (decimated by 2)... Decimating by 3 might give me some extra space, but I'm guessing not a massive ammount. So I want to know optimal bitrates and settings for the non-quality based version, or filters that I could use with the quality based one (or the other, too), that might let me set the quality/bitrate down to somewhere near 20% or 300 without losing watchability.
Tricky?
I expect so
Audio also needs to be in there - any filters I could use (and guides on how to use them) to allow me to use 22050Hz or 24000Hz 32kbs mono and not have it sound like crap. Or lower bitrates, even... but it has to be 22050 or 24000; I can't go down to the one below it as I think the player doesn't support it. Although I'll try it out. I think it only works with MP3s too, but since that's prolly the best sort of compression anyway, I'm not too bothered about that.
I may also reduce the size by splitting the files, but I'd prefer to get each section as long as possible before I do that (~15mins at least) as to move to the next section involves a minute or so of renaming. Which is annoying in mid-film.
Any hints/guides on how to do it would be very much appreciated - even if it only means scraping the odd few kb... if I can get enough methods to scrape a few, I'll manage...
Tobriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2003, 08:31 PM   #2
Old member

What a practically useless piece of junk of a hardware . . .
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2003, 09:09 PM   #3

Default GP32? Junk?

Certainly not junk... just limited for now... it IS a handheld console, after all...
Loads of emus, and a divx player to buy that works... but a new free one that I'm experimenting with. It'll be developed sure, but by this Monday? I doubt it . So I'm trying to get myself sorted for it before then...

If you want to know more about the thing, check gp32.emu.pl - you'll find its **far** from junky hardware...

In the mean time, I still need any help available
Old 8 Apr 2003, 11:56 PM   #4

Tobriand, where the heck did you read that the GP32 DivX ability was restricted to an 8Mb file????

the only limit is the size of the SMC card space avaiable, which is 128Mb as it stands, ive got a 98Mb indiana jones (ToD) on mine and it plays perfect.

And for those who dont know what a GP32 is, head to www.gp32x.com and youll see how special this little thing is, even for watching movies on the road

Bonks
Bonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2003, 02:36 AM   #5

Default Not exactly

Its not the GP32DivX proggy, or Moviepark; its GPMP...
Actually, it turns out after further fiddling that it works with anything up to 6 and a half minutes long, but after that bumps into a hard-coded block. Which is annoying; I suppose its because its supposed to be an alpha atm...
Old 9 Apr 2003, 06:04 PM   #6

Get Moviepark, its only ú3.50, and its great!
Bonks is offline   Reply With Quote