Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Video File Formats > AVI, DivX/Xvid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 4 Mar 2002, 11:30 AM   #1

Default Virtualdub problem

Quite often I come across the problem of virtualdub running until it has precisely processed 34mb of video data, and then stopping (as the clock continues to tick - the program doesn't freeze).

Does this have something to do with the mp3 codec?

When I am given the option of two (or more) versions of the same mp3 bit rate and frequency to use to compress the audio, one will give the error and the other will work fine.

Sadly, the thing I am trying to process now only gives one choice for every bit rate, of which all give the error at 34mb.
Karcsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2002, 06:57 PM   #2
Old member

It could indeed be an error with the MP3 codec. I had a similar problem like you, for which the only solution that I can think of is a reinstallation of Windows. Noone would give me an answer for it in the forum too.

Try encoding your video only, with audio processing disabled. And then, process your audio separately using a different program, like LAME encoder or Cooledit.

Good luck.
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2002, 08:14 PM   #3
Retired

Go into the Control Panel. Select "Multimedia". Click on "Devices". Select "Audio Compression Codecs". If you see more than one MP3 codec and one of them is the Fraunhofer MP3 (Professional), keep that one and remove the other.

Let us know of your success ;>}
setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2002, 07:51 AM   #4

Removed all but the pro version of fraunhofer mp3. Used Vdub to capture 352x288 from composite input with the divx 4.12 codec set to 400 bitrate, 1-pass, slowest. For audio I choose PCM 22050, 16-bit, mono.

I'm capturing from mono video tape to produce a file to be sent down the net, hence the low quality settings.

I captured 10 mins (56mb), and then tried to compress the audio using vdub to mp3 32kbits. Processing gets to exactly 19.6mb, and then stops. Happens everytime. The larger the capture file, the higher the value it stops at.
Old 6 Mar 2002, 10:38 AM   #5

Installed some other mp3 codecs, including the LAME one. Same problem at exactly the same place. Each time the avi file produced is exactly 32mb.
Old 6 Mar 2002, 08:23 PM   #6
Retired

I hesitate to ask perhaps the most obvious question of all - are you possibly running out of hard drive space?
Old 6 Mar 2002, 08:46 PM   #7

No. I've got plenty of space.

I am pretty certain it's the mp3 codec. If I use anything else for audio, it works fine. Installed the divx codecs for audio, and used them. No problems, other than a slight sync problem which I could fix.

It's just wierd that it hits exactly 32mb, then stops.
Old 6 Mar 2002, 09:01 PM   #8
Old member

Have you tried processing audio and video separately?
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2002, 09:10 PM   #9

Yeh. I think that would work. Stripped the audio out using vdub. Processed the wave file to mp3 with (don't laugh) Creastive Playcentre 2 and MP3converter. Then used mp3wav.exe to give the mp3 file a wav tag.

Started combining it in vdub. But half way through I got a error message, saying there was an error in the audio between two "frames" - whatever audio is is made up of. The numbers were different depending on whether I used Playcentre or mp3converter.

Is there another stand alone wav - mp3 convertor that you would recommend?
Old 6 Mar 2002, 09:18 PM   #10
Retired

"Used Vdub to capture"

Just noticed this in your earlier post. Is your problem with VirtualDub arising during capture ("The clock just keeps ticking") and not afterward, when you were trying to compress the audio of an already captured file?

If you're referring to a capturing limitation, have you checked the "Stop settings"?
Old 6 Mar 2002, 09:42 PM   #11

I'm capturing in vdub using the divx codec and PCM for audio. Then I use vdub to compress the audio afterwards. The stop settings for capture are default i.e. no mb limitation.
Old 7 Mar 2002, 07:59 AM   #12
Retired

"Is there another stand alone wav - mp3 convertor that you would recommend?"

GoldWave or CoolEdit...

By the way, when you've been attempting to convert the audio under VirtualDub, you have been either selectin Momo settings under "Compression' or have been first selecting "Change to stereo" under "Conversion", haven't you?
Old 7 Mar 2002, 09:25 AM   #13

Yes. And I have only been selecting from the MP3 bitrates that it offers, and not from any other that pops up when clicking "show all".

The MP3 option has appeared as an audio compressor in vdub for capturing AVI. But so far I have always received the error 419: Cannot open the wave input device. Check sample size, frequency, and channels.

Is it possible to capture straight to MP3 in vdub?