Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Video File Formats > Other File Formats

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 8 Jan 2002, 03:00 PM   #1

Unhappy-2 Audio not correct to convert from .avi to .mpg

I am SO frustrated. I bought this Pioneer A03 DVD-R drive and have not been able to use it, let alone figure it out. I have about 30 .avi files on my computer that I need to convert to .mpg (NTSC) and burn to my dvd-r discs, but can't do it. I have tried Flask, Ligos, Panasonic, and other .mpg converters to no avail. IF I can get it to take in MyDVD or DVDIT! they will lock up half way through transcoding. All of the audio properties are MPEG Layer-3, ranging from 56 kBit/s 24,000Hz stereo to 128kBit/s 48,000Hz stereo. How do I get the audio converted to make this work? I have tried every step-by-step conversion instructions known to man and they will not work. Is there a program that convert the audio and video correctly all in one step? I am about ready to give up and sell this thing, but I am hoping maybe someone has some insight on this. Also, are there any programs that recognize my DVD-R drive that I can use to burn these once they are converted? So far I am not too impressed with MyDVD or DVDIT! Thanks!

Christie
tygercss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jan 2002, 03:40 PM   #2
Retired

"I have about 30 .avi files on my computer that I need to convert to .mpg (NTSC) and burn to my dvd-r discs"

If you're thinking that .MPG files burned directly to a DVD-R will create a DVD-R that's recognized and read as a DVD, I believe you're in error. DVD's require a specific structure (.VOB files - the video/audio file[s] and .IFO and .BUP [backup of .IFO] files - the instruction files , so that the player can read the DVD. All of this must be placed in a directory named "Video_ts"). the video files must conform to specific video and audio formats.

Perhaps you should consider searching for some sites that provide "how-to" manuals for successfully burning DVDs...
setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2002, 01:39 AM   #3

Well, I have a Sony DVD player in my house that plays NSTC, Video CD, DVD, etc. I made sure it plays them all. I am just trying to convert an .avi file to an NSTC .mpg file so I can watch it on my DVD player that's attached to my home theater system. I know how to do DVD to DVD, but I keep getting errors when I try to convert .avi to .mpg and then burn to a DVD-R. I still have a feeling it is in the audio portion, but cannot seem to figure out what exactly is wrong. I was recommended to upgrade to DVDIT! PE 2.5, which I did last night, but now it latches up every time I try to create a DVD-R.
Old 9 Jan 2002, 02:46 AM   #4
Retired

"but I keep getting errors when I try to convert .avi to .mpg and then burn to a DVD-R."

What you should be doing is converting the .AVIs to MPEG1-VideoCD format and burning these to CD-Rs or R/W CDs.
setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2002, 03:01 AM   #5

I have tried that also. In Ligos, I get that the audio is not PCM format, so it won't work. In Panasonic MPEG-1 and Flask MPEG, they say either there is not codec found (which I have codecs for MPEG 1 - 4 + others) or it says it is not compatible. In DVDIT! or MyDVD, they automatically ask at the beginning whether you want to convert to NTSC or PAL (which I want NTSC). Then I can choose MPEG-1 or MPEG-2. Either way, when I go to convert the .avi, it either latches up or tells me that it cannot perform the operation (but it waits at least 2 hours before it decides to tell me that).