Digital Video Forums  

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Video File Formats > Other File Formats

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2003, 07:02 AM   #1

Default Audio quality terrible in "Alien" dvd rip

When playing the movie "Alien" in DivX I noticed the audio quality was horrible, like not higher than 32kbps, while the video quality was pretty good. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this same thing? Could this possibly be a VHS rip? Or did whoever encoded it just decide to encode the audio at an extremely low bitrate? I would like some help if possible. It's practically unwatchable- or rather inaudible.
redjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2003, 08:46 AM   #2
Old member

Load the AVI into GSpot, which will tell you all you need to know, including the audio information.
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2003, 09:46 AM   #3

Just as I thought. The audio WAS encoded in a fairly high bitrate (128kbps). So now I"m baffled. Why does it sound so terrible? If you will look at the attached file you can see the entire report from GSpot and, if possible, tell me what I need or what might be the problem. Or is it that this movie was recorded in bad quality? They should have had good audio recording equipment in 1979, and plus it's THX certified. I don't think THX would endorse something that sounds a little worse than AM radio. Any input is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Audio quality terrible in "Alien" dvd rip-gspot.jpg  
Old 14 Jan 2003, 10:23 AM   #4
Old member

Quote:
Or is it that this movie was recorded in bad quality?
The source could have been bad in the first place. Either that, OR whoever encoded this ripped the sound out at bad quality (say, 64kbps @32KHz), and reencoded (read: reencoded with lossy codec, aka MP3) the sound at a higher bitrate (hoping the sound would improve, where in reality, it did nothing but add to the filesize).

Quote:
plus it's THX certified
Whatever your opinion of THX is, any sound that has gone through the lossy process of MP3 compression pretty much has lost its THX-certification, hasn't it? (not to mention that whoever encoded this has screwed up something in a major way).
Old 15 Jan 2003, 02:40 PM   #5

Well guess what? Another "Alien" movie problem! I decided to screw the previous movie because it was obviously an encoding problem. This time it's with Alien Ressurection. *sigh*. Well the audio is near DVD quality with this one, however there's a hiss and slight distortion throughout it. I'm think either it's, again, a bad encoding, or I don't have the right audio codec. I ran it through GSpot and it said it uses the Franhaufer (not sure how to spell it) MP3 codec. So I tried installing it from the Nimo codec pack, however during installation it said it couldn't write to "l3codecp.acm". I made sure it wasn't write-protected and it wasn't.
So really I have two questions. Will installing the Franhaufer (sp?) codec help, or wouldn't the audio not play at all if that codec was required?
And second, any ideas why the installation can't access this file? I don't know what prog could possibly be using it. Thanx again!
Old 15 Jan 2003, 05:14 PM   #6
Old member

You don't really need to install anything to be able to play the MP3 audio stream in AVI files (there are updates to the decoder alright, but frankly, they don't seem to make a difference in quality nor functionality).

Try extracting the audio out using nandub:
1. Open file in nandub
2. Set Audio to Direct Stream Copy
3. Go to File -> Save WAV... and give a name to the new file (giving the extension MP3 as well)

Play the file in your favourite MP3 player and see whether the same problem occurs. If it does, then it is safe to assume that the sound problems are from within the audio file itself.